You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Precise Triangles in Affinity Designer/Photo for iPad

Is there a way to draw triangles with a precise set of angles in Affinity Designer/Photo for iPad.

For example, suppose I want a triangle with a top corner angle of 75°. How would I create that triangle to spec?

Sorry if I’m overlooking something simple. Thanks in advance for the advice. I tried to research this basic point. So far I’ve come up with nothing.

5 hours ago, GabrielM said:

I'm afraid no. You cannot define the angle on a triangle. Sorry.

Moved to feature requests. 

Although this is disappointing to learn, I know the polygon creation tools are still fantastic. I'll have to find some sort of creative workaround for a small project I'm working on. Thanks for the speedy answer, @GabrielM.

8 hours ago, GabrielM said:

You cannot define the angle on a triangle

3 hours ago, Ulysses said:

I'll have to find some sort of creative workaround

Hello @Ulysses 

what you can do is the following:

1. With the Pen Tool draw a horizontal line by holding down the SHIFT key.
  2. Duplicate the line by hitting CTRL+J
  3. Switch to the Move Tool (V) and make sure 'Show Rotation Centre' is active. You'll see a little cross hair in the middle of the line.
  4. Move the Rotation Centre to the left end of the line. It should snap to the end node (otherwise turn snapping on).
  5. Now you can type in a rotation angle of your choice in the Transform Panel. You now have some sort of guides to draw your triangle.
  6. Switch to the Pen Tool and start drawing a triangle along the lines you just created. Snapping will help you to exactly hit the corner points and the angle is exactly what you initially typed in when rotating.

If you want to apply this to a second angle you have to be creative along the above example.

This all is not automatic but should give you a triangle according to your need :)

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

17 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Do you think it will also be applicable to the iPad version?

Definitely yes. I just tried it on my iPad and it works just like on the desktop.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

5 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

I should already know this, but: What is the iPad gesture to draw a horizontal line with the Pen tool? :13_upside_down:

Never hesitate to ask. You touch with one finger and draw the line. The segment becomes visible after you release the Pen.

One finger is the equivalent to SHIFT key.

d.

22 hours ago, GabrielM said:

Moved to feature requests

I’ve just noticed that this iPad thread is currently in the ‘Suggestions for Affinity Designer on Desktop’ section. oops.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

22 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

I actually did wonder why it got moved here by an admin. :)

I think @GabrielM simply moved it by accident to the wrong ‘Suggestions for’ section.

Alfred spacer.png

2 hours ago, GabrielM said:

Yep. My mistake. Back to questions now :)

Er ... that wasn’t the problem, Gabe! :o

On 8/2/2018 at 9:12 AM, GabrielM said:

HI @Ulysses,

I'm afraid no. You cannot define the angle on a triangle. Sorry.

Moved to feature requests. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

You correctly moved the thread from ‘Questions’ to ‘Suggestions’ but accidentally put it in the Desktop section instead of the iPad section. ;)

Alfred spacer.png

This might be easiest to do by starting with either the Pie or Donut tool so you can set the start & end angles numerically from the Context menu. Use the one finger Shift key equivalent to lock the shape to equal height & width when drawing it out. Set the hole radius to zero & then convert to curves & with the Node Tool eliminate any extra nodes & set all of them to sharp.

Note: setting the start or end angle numerically sometimes does not work right -- the angle switches back to some other angle when I tap "OK" but eventually it does work, sometimes requiring toggling "Invert" on & off a few times. I don't know if that is a bug or just something I am not doing right, though. :S

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 8/4/2018 at 10:16 AM, R C-R said:

This might be easiest to do by starting with either the Pie or Donut tool so you can set the start & end angles numerically from the Context menu. Use the one finger Shift key equivalent to lock the shape to equal height & width when drawing it out. Set the hole radius to zero & then convert to curves & with the Node Tool eliminate any extra nodes & set all of them to sharp.

Fascinating approach, @R C-R. I'll take a look at this one. Thank you. :)

9 hours ago, Warm said:

I will give this approach a look. Do you think it will also be applicable to the iPad version? NOT VERY SURE.

Hi @Warm,

I just checked and I can confirm that you can do the same on the iPad (use the donut tool and the method I described further above).

d.

9 hours ago, Warm said:

I will give this approach a look. Do you think it will also be applicable to the iPad version?

The method I mentioned was done on my iPad, so yes. :)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 8/4/2018 at 10:16 AM, R C-R said:

Note: setting the start or end angle numerically sometimes does not work right -- the angle switches back to some other angle when I tap "OK" but eventually it does work, sometimes requiring toggling "Invert" on & off a few times. I don't know if that is a bug or just something I am not doing right, though. :S

A big thanks to everyone who shared their favorite technique for this triangle exercise. 

@R C-R this is a great method! I really enjoyed it. I had a little trouble at first because I didn't completely understand the function of some of the tools in your directions, so it took a few minutes for me to correctly follow your directions. But after a few attempts I was able to accomplish the task.

I see the "bugs" you referred to. Although the numbers don't seem to "stick" in the Starting Angle and Ending Angle, the shape itself seems to hold at whatever parameter you need. So I just left that alone. 

7 minutes ago, MyAmazingDiscoveries.com said:

Can you point me in the right direction for this donut tool?

Tap the Rectangle tool twice for the fly-out that gives you a host of other shapes options. One of those is the Donut tool. Pretty slick, isn’t it? 

94723AD2-57F4-470B-A1AE-9128D2FF5E8B.jpeg

32 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Tap the Rectangle tool twice for the fly-out that gives you a host of other shapes options. One of those is the Donut tool. Pretty slick, isn’t it? 

94723AD2-57F4-470B-A1AE-9128D2FF5E8B.jpeg

Yes. Slick indeed. This forum ROCKS! Thank you.