You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

info palette/panel doesn't return any color values

I'm curious why the "info" panel or palette sometimes will show color values for the cursor location and sometimes will only show the x/y coordinates of the cursor. I've tried changing the source selection, the layer, and the size of the cursor (well, actually, I've tried changing everything I can think of) and it works fine on some images and not at all on other images. What am I doing wrong?

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg

Have you tried clicking on the 4 line 'burger' menu at the top of the Info panel & choosing "Add New Sampler"?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

8 hours ago, R C-R said:

Have you tried clicking on the 4 line 'burger' menu at the top of the Info panel & choosing "Add New Sampler"?

Yes. It doesn't seem to do anything but it's possible I'm just missing it because I can't figure out what "sampler" and "target" even are. Affinity Photo Help doesn't shed any light on it for me; it seems to assume that I'm already familiar with those terms. The way I've always used the "info" panel in Adobe is just to put the cursor on the image and it shows the colors in my image at that spot. Do you know of a place where they explain "sampler" and "target"?

Thanks

I don't know of any place this is explained in the help but a 'sampler' is the group of three icons & the numeric data next to them, like the two samplers in your second screenshot. 'Target' is whatever each of them is sampling. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

The target is the little target thing on the info panel. Like a circle with a cross in it, at the bottom of the three little icons. You can drag that to the image. The sampler (as @R C-Rsays) is the whole group of icons and read outs. 

You can add more ‘samplers’ to the info panel and drag the target from each one to the page so that you can read the colour values from different places at the same time.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Okay, I see! This is really very cool! That's very helpful "info" in that panel. It's so much more than I knew. Thanks a lot guys.

Now, I do have another question about the info panel, but it's just a curiosity thing:

What is "memory efficiency"? It changes as I open or close images but always hovers around 500%, even with 6 images open at once. If I got ridiculous and opened 20 at once (Which I don't want to do.:)) would it drop drastically?

Edit: I thought of another question: Why do most images have samplers automatically but some don't?

Edited by ncJohn
another question