You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vector textures for vector brushes?

I was wondering if it's possible (or could be possible in an update) to have vector textures applied to vector brushes?

What I mean by that is let's say I create an image of dots (all vector) then output it into a vector format could that then be used as the source texture for a vector brush?

Would be great as then you would have all vector throughout a file instead of some bitmap and some vector which obviously then limits how large it can be printed at. 

I totally appreciate the bitmap brushes and what can be done with them but for some things (for example a halftone pattern) it would be great if they could be vector based so that they could then be output at any size when exporting. 

Many thanks for any input on this and apologies if it's already possible and I'm missing it somewhere as I seem to be doing that a lot lately. Very probably old age starting to set in!

Also why has the font size of my post above gone so large!? I posted it via my iPhone and noticed it was really large after submitting it. Can't see a way to lower the size of the font though via mobile?

• Staff
6 hours ago, markbowen said:

why has the font size of my post above gone so large!?

I'm not sure! We've made a few test posts from an iPhone and Android and neither were posted in the larger font, but I've seen a few posts recently in the same size as the first post so I'll keep an eye out for it. In the meantime I've edited the text to be a normal size :)

6 hours ago, markbowen said:

let's say I create an image of dots (all vector) then output it into a vector format could that then be used as the source texture for a vector brush?

This isn't something that's currently possible, but we'd like to implement it into the desktop version in a future update and I see no reason why it would not be implemented into the iPad version after this! For the meantime I'll move this thread to our feature requests section so our devs are aware that it's wanted on the iPad too. 

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Hi Dan,

Many thanks for fixing the font size for me and thanks for placing this into feature requests. Would be great to have something like this in the app. I wait hopefully with baited breath ;-)

Best wishes,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Just to point out that this is one of the things I would also be happy to see - creating vector version of say rope ends and rope middle part  and using it as a vector brush. Its definitely better quality on zoom then what we can achieve with bitmap brush. So yeah, would be cool to see that one day :D

• 2 weeks later...

I also would like to see actual vector sprites within the vector brushes. This would have two ends and a repeating middle or just one element that gets stretched. Adobe has gone as far as having additional hard corner elements which are a great add. Add to that the ability to overlay an additional vector sprite that could add texture and this would be a really cool effect. 

In fact, here the dream feature 

When editing a brush 

• Brush shapes/sprites are stored as affinity files in a folder structure that can be accessed by the file system
    • You could drag them in to add new brushes 
    • You could edit one from just opening the file directly 
  • When in a brush editing screen/modal you can click a shape/sprite and it opens it as a file to be edited with full vector capabilities 
  • There is a shape/sprite for each end, repeating or stretching middle and an additional one for an opacity texture 

• 3 years later...
On 8/2/2018 at 8:50 AM, markbowen said:

I wait hopefully with baited breath ;-)

Baited breath ---- I'm guessing, since the post is around 5 years old, theres been a change in your breathing patterns?

Although, at least its great that VecorStyler can do some amazing stuff with REAL vector brushes, and copy pastes perfectly back into Affinity apps --- still pretty essential, as Affinity's pretend vector brushes are no use at all when creating vector work, so I wait hopefully with sighing breath ;-)

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk