VolkerMB

JPEG: Exported file shows unwanted lines across the picture

Hi there!

When I export the attached image to JPEG, I am left with a vertical blackish line across the exported image - at least at zoom leves. To replicate the issue:

1. Open attached .afphoto-file
  2. Export it via FILE -> EXPORT to JPEG by setting width to 1050px and quality to anything between 75 and 100. The resampling method is irrelevant.
  3. Use any browser or image viewer to display the exported file at 150%

The blackish line appears to be the border of a layer element although the layer has no border (set to 0px and transparent).

Any ideas/work arounds how to avoid this?

Best,
Volker

mm_foto-1-medium.afphoto

Zoom to a level where you can see the line on your screen
Select the erase brush and on the pixel layer erase the line
Then export the file

Due to the ongoing Brexit negotiations, punctuation, spelling and grammar will be used sparingly until further notice.

Hi owenr,

sounds like a clever idea. Unfortunately: It does not work. I already had "force pixel alignment" and "move by whole pixel" switched on. Additionally I corrected the position of the layer and the mask manually, but the exported file is still rendered with a blackish vertical line...

@carl123: The line is not visible in Affinity Photo. Here everything looks just fine. The line occurs in the exported jpeg (or png or tiff) only.

"Sad, so sad", Trump would say... (just kidding)

Anyway, thanks for your efforts.

Best,
Volker

I do not think this is a pixel positioning problem, even with whole pixels I still see the line, I also see it in your corrected upload

Add an outer shadow effect to the pixel layer , max out out all 3 sliders, (especially the Intensity slider) you clearly see the shadow coming from the line on the left hand side of the image (there is also one at the top)

There be pixels there, erase them

Due to the ongoing Brexit negotiations, punctuation, spelling and grammar will be used sparingly until further notice.

Hi owenr,

great work - thanks again. When I export your edited file the vertical line has vanished. But only at the layer position of "x: 1853px". At "x: 1850px" the vertical line reappears in the exported file. So I get more and more conviced it is a bug of some sort...

@carl123: Will try that. However, masking a pixel layer in order to simply change the background shouldn't involve so much extra magic, should it? (Not you fault, I know).

I have downloaded your corrected version and added an outer shadow and reuploaded it

Do you not see the shadow on the left and top side being caused by pixels at the left and top edges of the image?

Erase those pixels and the shadow disappears

shadow2.afphoto

10 minutes ago, owenr said:

Volker has tried the corrected file I uploaded and found that it does not produce the problematic dark line in an export!

I don't see the point in adding shadows to force a display artifact to appear now.

If I  export your "corrected" file at a reduced width of 4000px the line is still there

This is not a whole pixel positioning problem

5 minutes ago, owenr said:

Yes, that's understandable because of Affinity's strategy of building a scaled export (which also affects the zoomed document display) but Volker hasn't said that he is exporting at a reduced size.

This is getting silly

Just delete the stray pixel line at the left-hand side of the image and the problem is solved no matter what size you export at

You cannot expect someone to keep trying to reposition the image if they want to export it at different sizes in the future

...it is getting too complicated for me... However, merging did the trick. I should have thought about it way earlier.

Again, thanks for all your ideas and efforts.