You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello, 

I have been using Affinity designer on my Mac since a year or so. I bought an iPad and Apple Pencil specially for the Affinity Designer App couple days ago. Now, I am trying to import all my brushes, styles and assets from my Mac AD Version (1.5.5) to my Ipad AD Version (1.6.1.40). But it's not accepting them, no any pop up shows up telling me the reason. I don't know how to do it now... Can someone help me? I don't think that brushes would change from one version to another, am i right?

Also why can't i edit my Ipad design on my MAC? i know that Ipad App is a new version, but you guys should let any AD format work on any device and any version. 

First of all, you need to log in to the Mac App Store and install the updated version 1.6 on your Mac: all 1.x updates are free to existing version 1 customers. As for the brushes, on the desktop version they simply won’t show up initially if you’re in the wrong persona when you import them, but on the iPad version I’ve found that they won’t even import unless I switch to the correct persona first.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff
38 minutes ago, KarolinaBS said:

i know that Ipad App is a new version, but you guys should let any AD format work on any device and any version. 

Hi KarolinaBS,

Unfortunately it's not as simple as 'letting' files be compatible. Our major updates, 1.5,1.6,1.7 etc, usually have a wide variety of updated tools and coding, which means files cannot be backwards compatible to older versions of the code base, as it may cause crashing or unwanted behaviour that we simply can't support. This is even more prevalent when interworking between platforms is introduced, version 1.5.5 for Mac was released back in March 2017, before the iPad app had even begun testing and therefore wasn't designed with iPad (v1.6+) file compatibility in mind.

You can always open your old v1.5 files in v1.6, but you should not create files in v1.6 and open them in v1.5.

I can understand why you may not wish to update versions, but we highly recommend it as we can only guarantee compatibility between the latest versions of our software when you're interworking across platform.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• Staff

You shouldn't lose your custom brushes etc, but you can always back them up just to make sure. The below video will show you how this can be done!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Hi, KarolinaBS,

I've been using air drop to transfer files. My particular network connection is slower than air drop, so thats the way I go. If I have a document open, and try an air drop from the Mac to the iPad, I get one message that asks what app the drop should go to. Then I get a message from Designer saying the current open document must be closed. After closing, a re-drop works fine. I would expect assets and styles would be the same.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

• 1 year later...

.Afstyles file are not accepted with airdrop (no associated app found) and can't be imported using the styles window (tested DropBox and iCloud) (iOS 10.3, Designer 1.7.2). Tested in pixel and vector persona's.

--> I'm pretty sure this happens only when you don't have Affinity Photo installed on iPad, something is wrong with file type associations on Designer.
--> Need a fix for this!

• Staff

Hi Swörl :)

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. Please navigate to the .afstyles file in Files and make a copy locally on your iPad, rather than in the cloud. Now reopen the Affinity app and go to the Styles Studio, then try importing your styles again. Does this now allow you to import your styles?