You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, I am looking at photographing flowers in studio/house against my own painted backgrounds then adding a texture or textures to everything except the flowers or flower heads so I need to be able to cut out what I don.t want to be covered by the textures (Flowers/Flower Heads) save that cut out mask and once added the texture/s to the image paste the un-textured cutout/mask back into the image. Now I hope that makes sense to someone out there. So can you direct me to a tutorial/s for this ? Many Thanks. I no that Topaz software has an option and is as far as I can see compatable with AP but would rather do this in the one app as can be done in Photoshop. Thankyou, Russ.

Something like this:-

Try this one

https://vimeo.com/134729670

Would also recommend you initially  photograph the flowers against a contrasting background to make cutting out easier

e.g. don't photograph white flowers against a white background

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

38 minutes ago, Russ2 said:

I am looking at photographing flowers in studio/house against my own painted backgrounds then adding a texture or textures to everything except the flowers or flower heads so I need to be able to cut out what I don.t want to be covered by the textures 

If you’re photographing your own painted backgrounds, why make all that tricky cutout work for yourself? If it were me, I would simply photograph the main subject against a solid-colour background which can easily be removed, photograph the painted background on its own, add a texture or textures and then superimpose the cutout flower or flower heads.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

If it were me, I would simply photograph the main subject against a solid-colour background which can easily be removed ...

In practice, getting a good solid color background can be difficult unless you have a studio setup designed for that. The backdrop needs to be evenly lit, free of shadows cast by the main subject, & seamless. That usually means placing the backdrop relatively far behind the subject, which means it may need to be relatively large, which in turn complicates lighting it evenly. You also sometimes have to be careful to avoid any colored light reflecting off the backdrop illuminating the edges of the subject, creasing an unwanted color cast in the subject, which makes balancing the intensity of the lights illuminating the background & the subject tricky.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

If you are going to cut out the background anyway just use a transparent backdrop in your studio, saves so much time and effort.

You should be able to pick them up in your local arts and crafts shop, but ask an assistant for help as being transparent they can be hard to find.  :ph34r:

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

12 minutes ago, carl123 said:

If you are going to cut out the background anyway just use a transparent backdrop in your studio, saves so much time and effort.

You should be able to pick them up in your local arts and crafts shop, but ask an assistant for help as being transparent they can be hard to find.  :ph34r:

You can save some money by buying a can of transparent paint instead. Many hardware stores sell it, often near the same section with a display of left-handed monkey wrenches (spanners to you U.K folk), henways, dehydrated water power, & the like.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 hours ago, Russ2 said:

Do they sell cameras with the shutter button also on the Left Hand Side?:10_wink:

Yes, they do, but they only come in the upside down camera variant at the moment, VIP scientists are working tirelessly on a way to separate the left-handedness and undersidedownedness features and they estimate they will crack this problem around the same time Affinity release v1.7 lol!

Update: they did think they'd solved the problem but all they kept getting was selfies :P

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions