You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

.ai file export

Illustrator 8 files are essentially EPS with several huge blobs of binary data. We can (now) import them, because we can import EPS. We can't export them because we don't know what should go in the binary data. You could try exporting as EPS and then changing the file extension to .ai, and you might find your other app can then import it as AI8. However, it would be dishonest for us to claim that as AI export, because it wouldn't contain Illustrator's private data and so would not be fully editable in Illustrator.

FANTASTIC!!! THANKS so much ... that trick worked to import the vectors into Cinema 4D!!!

such a live-saver to simply change a suffix!!!

Illustrator 8 files are essentially EPS with several huge blobs of binary data. We can (now) import them, because we can import EPS. We can't export them because we don't know what should go in the binary data. You could try exporting as EPS and then changing the file extension to .ai, and you might find your other app can then import it as AI8. However, it would be dishonest for us to claim that as AI export, because it wouldn't contain Illustrator's private data and so would not be fully editable in Illustrator.

That's interesting.

Umm, How about calling it "Export paths for 3D" and not tell us what's really happening under the hood?  (Just joking. I think you'd catch a lot of flack for doing that)

• 4 months later...

Hi Has there been any movment on a layered vector file format from AD? 
I have worked for 4 motion graphics agencies in London in the last 7 months all who are sick of Illustrator (and Apple actually!) being insanely slow and crashing even the dustbin macs.

I've introduced AD to a few designers as it is such a beautiful piece of software but us animators can't use it if we can't output and update a layered vector format. I literally can't wait for AD to be able to do this so we can start to use it in our After Effects - Modo pipelines.  Exporting separate layers as files in fine but it adds time to a dense animation workflow. 

Will this exist or does it already? Need to know! I want AD to work in MotionGrpahics!

• 1 year later...
On 05/02/2016 at 5:20 PM, C.biz said:

FANTASTIC!!! THANKS so much ... that trick worked to import the vectors into Cinema 4D!!!

such a live-saver to simply change a suffix!!!

C.Biz - what settings did you export your EPS out as ?  I can't get this to work for 3DS Max.

6 hours ago, 3drenderingservices.co.uk said:

C.Biz - what settings did you export your EPS out as ?  I can't get this to work for 3DS Max.

I use the standard settings -> EPS (for export) -> PS level: 3
and nothing is rasterised therefore the "Raster DPI" field is blank.
good luck mate!