Sign in to follow this  
Rasikananda

Thin lines show breaks at distant zoom levels

I just fired up Affinity Photo Beta for the first time and had this user experience:

Created a new pixel layer.

Selected a brush, painted a line. Response time was not solid, brush felt floaty, jittery, and imprecise. Found no pressure sensitive thickness controls. Selected a thinner brush. Brush displayed with breaks in line.

Despondancy set in. Started seeking solution. Zoomed in. Line became clear.

Drew thinner line, line displayed with zoom artifacts like breaks in the line. Zoomed in further, display showed line clearly.

Took screenshots, came here, posted this. Depending on response time and inclusion of error suggestion, my confidence in your company and products will be influenced. I know you're a smaller team and have a large overhead of duties to perform, and perhaps someone has already mentioned this bug, but any notice of it's receipt from a person, not a robot formula reply, will boost confidence.

Personal care and service is where the line is drawn between successful and unsuccessful enterprises. Thanks for trying.

post-7861-0-34379200-1425651363_thumb.png

post-7861-0-06796800-1425651367_thumb.png

post-7861-0-23596900-1425651373_thumb.png

post-7861-0-37987000-1425651376_thumb.png

post-7861-0-30787300-1425651548_thumb.png

Hi Rasikananda,

you can customize your brushes very easily by using the More ... button on the context tool bar. Pressure sensitivity can be adjusted quite nuanced here ... 

And I am not quite sure if the stroke display issues you have mentioned should be considered a bug at all ... I get the same "broken lines" at certain zoom levels in Photoshop ... 

Hope that helps.  :)

Cheers,

Alex

Thanks Alex,

I found the setting that fixed the line quality.

It's under Preferences>Performance>View Quality

I changed it from the default "Nearest Neighbor" to "Bilinear"

For an out-of-the-box better user experience to compete with Adobe:

I would recommend Bilinear be enabled by default instead of the current default.

Also the "More" moniker on that button was not at all obvious that it contained the brush pressure sensitivity options. An icon showing a thin to thick curved brush-stroke perhaps with an additive texture would be more obvious, which could then bring up the same menu.

Having brush pressure sensitivity enabled by default would also add to a more confident first time user experience.

In addition, the icon in the Layers Pallette for "Group Layers" looks just like the "New Layer" icon from Photoshop, so when it doesn't do as expected, it interrupts user flow and causes cognitive dissonance, reducing user confidence.

Using a paperclip over the icon or a chain or two layers with a plus on the top would be more accurate to it's function than a single folded page.

Also the new layer icon shows transparency, but doesn't indicate it's additive function. A plus sign on top of it would make it more accurate and immediately understandable.

Thanks for considering my notes :)

I would love for your product to be the best in the world.

I'm designing my own OS and would love to use Affinity Photo to design it with. Look forward to working with you and your team as we progress the future :)

In replying to this thread, I thought of a better forum system that would also help your user community make your products the best in the world.

If when commenting I need to go #offtopic or #changefocus to another element to #maintainefficiency from a #userspov, tags could create separate nodes within a comment thread so that a writer can write in thought flow, while readers can find and read and note those topics that are specific to their interest, which are mentioned in a multi-topic thread.

A WYSIWYG hybrid vector/rastor/css app would also be revolutionary, if you're looking for that crown. :)

Hello Rasikananda,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Affinity Photo is still in development (Beta). Some of its functions/interface are not final and subject to change greatly during this phase. The icon you are referring to had another function in earlier betas that did make sense for that icon at the time. Since then we have changed its function but the icon wasn't updated to reflect his new action hence the discrepancy between what it looks and what it does. All those details will be fixed/fine-tuned as we move forward.

I'm glad to know you're enjoying it.