postmadesign

Using larger assets crashes Designer

I have a lot of trouble trying to use the assets from the Propaganda Design Kit by Frankentoon. I use it on the Mac version with great results, but on ipad it gives me a lot of crashes. It crashes on importing from dropbox. Then when I finally have it installed, it crashes every time I try to insert a larger asset. I get a weird pattern and then crash to the home screen. I am using a 2017 ipad pro with 64 gb ram. I am guessing this is a memory issue? It is a shame as designer works so well in most parts on ipad, but it seems to have memory issues when using mostly larger pixel contents.

I am using the latest version from the app store (from today, actually)

Note that although importing was not without crashes, the using is where the big problem is.

I did notice some instability with importing fonts as well though, with frequent crashes when using dropbox. AD crashes after the element has downloaded. Then when I reopen it, I can import the now downloaded file without bigger problems.

I hope you can fix these stability issues?

14 hours ago, FreelanceDesigner said:

After hour of drawing, Designer on iPad pro 10.5" crashes, especially after saving I lost the last 30 min of vector drawing. I think it's due to lack of RAM on iPad. 4GB is just not enough. Just my 2 cents.

Wrong there (my opinion)...

I can editing 50MPixel pictures in Affinity Photo with no hassle at all with 4GB RAM on my 2017 iPad Pro 12.9"...

so, can't be the RAM that is the issue here...

Have also a lot of music making apps that is super Pro that runs smoothly...

It's all about optimization...

I'm guessing that apps like Affinity Designer are capable of asking a whole lot more than the current iPad Pro is capable of.  I was impressed to import a huge Photoshop t-shirt template file into Designer on my iPad.  It definitely struggled with it, but it worked.  Tons of layers and special effects.  But yeah, there must be a limit.  Hopefully the next iPad Pros will be a lot more powerful, and of course have a lot more ram.  If Apple comes out with like 4 gigs of ram, then we can be sure that they're just trying to stretch it out and get us to buy a new iPad Pro every year.  I've already had mine for about 2 years and I don't have plans to update it.  Well, I didn't, but I also didn't expect to see apps like Affinity Designer and Clip Studio Paint appear.  Now I may end up getting a new one.  If it's substantially more powerful.

I have the same problem with my 2018 iPad. Is there any possibility this gets solved in the near future? It’s really frustrating since the asset pack seems to be tested with the 2017 (normal) iPad. 

Just want to add to this topic that despite the large dimensions of Propaganda Design Kit's Assets, the 'heaviest' of these textures weights about 2.2 MB (at 3,600 x 4,800 px); the rest gravitates towards 250 KB to 800 KB. So they're pretty lightweight to use, in general.

- Enrique

• Frankentoon - Tutorials and Resources for Affinity Designer

• Get a Free eBook for Affinity Designer - Subscribe HERE

Follow us on Instagram  |  Follow us on Twitter |  Like us on Facebook

I did have some troubles recently and I was using Enrique's Propaganda Design Kit but I think it didn't have much to do with using the assets. 

I had 12 files 'open' in the gallery, I had three files that I was working on and had some 9 samples that I was exploring/learning from. So, 12 files open in the gallery. When I started to get sluggishness and some occasional crashes, I went back to the gallery and started to close the samples and files that I was not working on.

When I went back to the file that I was currently working on I had no more issues. Is that just a coincidence?

I guess for me some explanation is needed on how the iPad Pro version of AD handles all of these 'opened' files. Until you close a file, is it taking up resources, memory? If you have multiple files open and not 'closed' does it stretch these resources and make crashes more prone to happen?

I have the 2017 iPad Pro 12.9, 2nd gen, with 4 GB of RAM

Hi,

I have the same problem with importing frankentoon's propaganda kit (exactly masks and textures). My iPad Air 2 crushes when i try import files from iCloud, Dropbox or another clouds. If there are some info about this problem? It's really frustrating that I bought something and can't use it.