You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

See attached video.

The brush doesn't work in the pixel persona for me on some files. I'm working awesome with vector layers, then switch to pixel to add some texture, but nothing happens. Already tried deselecting everything, tried letting the assistant start a new pixel layer for me, etc... but nothing works. So I have to start a new file, work the texture there then copy it back. Very annoying.

I'd love it if someone has a solution, or if the devs can confirm this is a known bug.

Thank you!

From what I can tell from the vid, what you are doing should work. I tried using some Frankentoon brushes, they worked fine. I could nest the pixel layers into the vector, and they clipped fine.  You say it only happens w. some files. I don't recall anyone posting a similar problem, but I have to wonder if there is not some sort of file corruption. Perhaps try a file "save as" and over write the old one and then try the pixel additions?

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

• Staff

Hi pedrowunderlich and Welcome to the Forums,

As @gdenby has said, from the video everything looks okay and you should be able to paint onto the layer.   

If the saving the file again doesn't resolve the issue, would you be able to attach the .afdesign file shown in the video or you can upload it our Dropbox here and i'll be happy to take a look and what could be the cause of this happening :) 

Ok, I can definitely say it's a bug. Painting on a new pixel layer doesn't work, but if I copy and paste a pixel layer from another file, then I can pain on that layer. I just erase its contents then paint there. @stokerg I'll upload the file for you to check, but please keep it safe and delete after checking it. 

(saved the file again but that didn't fix it)

Thank you for your help gang!

1 hour ago, pedrowunderlich said:

Definitely a bug though as one would expect to be able to paint anywhere.

Maybe it is just me, but I would expect that only where there is something to paint on. So if I don't have anything outside of an artboard, I do not expect that to work, any more than I would if I tried to paint on the air.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

16 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Maybe it is just me, but I would expect that only where there is something to paint on. So if I don't have anything outside of an artboard, I do not expect that to work, any more than I would if I tried to paint on the air.

Just you. You can design vectors everywhere, artboard and pasteboard. User's expectation is to have consistent behavior across the experience. I'd concede your point if nothing could be done outside the artboard.

• Staff

Glad you got to the bottom of it @pedrowunderlich :)

I also shared @R C-R view at first and wouldn't of expected it to work BUT it does work for vector brushes.  I suspect this will be something to do with the need of a pixel layer to paint on and that is only being applied to the artboard and not the outside BUT i'm not a Dev and could be completely wrong on that. 

I'll have to get comment on this in the morning from the QA team to see if this is expected behaviour and if it is we can put an improvement request into the Dev team.  If it's bug, we can log it as such :)

38 minutes ago, pedrowunderlich said:

Just you. You can design vectors everywhere, artboard and pasteboard. User's expectation is to have consistent behavior across the experience. I'd concede your point if nothing could be done outside the artboard.

I have no trouble drawing vector shapes outside an artboard, like in this Shapes inside & outside an artboard.afdesign example.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, stokerg said:

Glad you got to the bottom of it @pedrowunderlich :)

I also shared @R C-R view at first and wouldn't of expected it to work BUT it does work for vector brushes.  I suspect this will be something to do with the need of a pixel layer to paint on and that is only being applied to the artboard and not the outside BUT i'm not a Dev and could be completely wrong on that. 

I'll have to get comment on this in the morning from the QA team to see if this is expected behaviour and if it is we can put an improvement request into the Dev team.  If it's bug, we can log it as such :)

Awesome! Glad to hear. Indeed I prefer to work on the pasteboard vs the constraints of an artboard (infinite canvas!). I'd say there should be consisten behavior: either allow design or don't outside the artboard.

Thanks for the help everyone!!

1 hour ago, stokerg said:

I suspect this will be something to do with the need of a pixel layer to paint on and that is only being applied to the artboard and not the outside ...

That seems to be the explanation for why we can't paint outside an artboard on a new pixel layer -- if you check the Transform panel after clicking on the '"Add Pixel Layer" icon in the panel or use Layers menu > New Pixel Layer, the new pixel layer has no width, height, X, or Y attributes. Only after painting something on it within the confines of the artboard (even though that layer is not a child of the artboard) does it gain any of those attributes.

So it is sort of a case of there being nothing there to paint on, but it still seems buggy.

Affinity Photo