You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

EXIF info lost when exporting to JPEG

Hello,

I am a new Affinity Photo user and I found out, that when I export file to JPEG, I loose EXIF info. When I open RAW file from my camera Nikon D700 in Development persona, EXIF tool doesn't read all the EXIF info (compare to Nikon ViewNXi, where I see a lot more EXIF information about image settings, camera info, flash info, Picture control settings etc.). When I develop image, work on it in Photo persona (using NIK collection plugin as well) and  export it to JPEG (embed metadata checked), EXIF data is lost then. Is there any way to preserve all the original EXIF data embedded in RAW image when developing and exporting image in Affinity Photo? I attached file to see what EXIF is displayed in Development persona when I open RAW image. Is it same for you guys? Or do you have more detailed EXIF?

Thanks for help.

Peter

exif example.jpg

6 hours ago, GabrielM said:

Hi @Boh-UU,

Welcome to the forums. 

Do you lose all the EXIF info? Or just the "missing" info that's not showing up in Affinity Photo? 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Hi Gabriel,

thank you for your reply. I am attaching two files to see a difference, when I am exporting image from RAW to JPEG inside Nikon Capture NX-D and when I do the same inside Affinity Photo (and doesn't matter if I do just export without retouching the image or I do retouching then exporting to JPEG). You can see displayed images in the Nikon View NX-i, file information on the right side and the difference between these two EXIF/IPTC information.

I did some digging into Exiftool used by Affinity and I found out on the Exiftool forum webpage, that if you want to preserve all the EXIF tags, you must use special commands in command line. Does the Affinity use such a commands?

Thank you.

Peter

Affinity.JPEG.export.jpg

Capture.NX-D.JPEG.export.jpg

• Staff

The exif data you see in Affinity Photo exit studio is what you're going to have when you export. We do not currently have a more detailed exif tool, nor a CMD line. Sorry. 

moved to feature requests.

Thanks,

Gabe. 

• 5 months later...

I think it's worth noting here that Photoshop Elements 12 also drops some EXIF information. In my case it's the "Canon" & "CanonCustom" tags.

This may be something that many tools do by accident.

Glad that JPEGMini does not delete tags from the file.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471