You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

how to do this in black and white

Hi, iMac1943 (Luc),

The .png is what I call "hideously noisy and pixelated bit map art that is hell to turn to vector." If you did lots of processing, such as resampling up to maybe smooth the pixelization, running noise filters, messing w. levels or contrast, then posterizing, or applying a threshold  filter, then running it thru an auto trace, the vectors would most likely still need a ton of work. And not give you a grey scale effect.

So I ran the .png thru a de-noise filter, and a little gaussian blur, and the some contrast adjustment. Then used a halftone filter, once as dots, the other as lines. Combined them to see how it looked.

The result is a bitmap, so it may not scale well. What did:

BirdSmoothedHalfTone.thumb.jpg.3c9ecdd76ae029bea051cc8b5dd15c22.jpgBirdLineHalfToned.thumb.jpg.ae528ef185ecdaba9459b380f963d572.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Thank you gdenby, but I need to explain my problem.

I tell you a bit more about the job I'm doing. The customer often gives me a drawing on paper. I put it on the scanner. Use that as the first layer and then I start drawing on the second layer etc. Because it's always black and white I don't have many problems. File 1 is such an example.

On other occasions they send me an email with an attachment, which is nearly always a jpeg (see file 2). I use the jpeg as first layer and I start drawing on the second layer. Then I print it (A3) on special chalk paper. Which then is used to make a screen. And printing on t shirts etc.

You see the big difference between the first drawing and the bird. I cannot use a 30 kb jpeg image and blow it up to the size of an A3. Too much grain. So I started like this (see file 3) but I guess the customer will not like it.  I think I need the possibility of a sort of painting. What is your proposal?

Thank you for helping me!

Luc

Screen Shot 2018-07-31 at 21.44.09.png

logo Saying Goodbye.JPG

Screen Shot 2018-07-31 at 21.54.28.png

My inclination would be to tackle this the other way around, starting with a filled black shape and covering it with white shapes to create the interior space. A Gaussian blur provides the fading edges.

6238A004-C6B3-4B12-ABD2-B79FD32B7805.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

There aren’t really many more steps than I mentioned in my previous post. I created several black shapes and added them together, and then placed some smaller white shapes on top; the white shapes all have a Gaussian blur filter effect applied.

I’ve attached a copy of my *.afdesign file for you to play with.

Bird.afdesign

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@iMac1943

My concern would be, does that sort of blurring work the way you make a screen?

If you are printing to special chalk paper (I know nothing of the process) how does that translate into halftone dots for silk screening?

You are designing and printing what is effectively a continuous tone grey for a process that uses big dots! (55 lpi ish).

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

28 minutes ago, iMac1943 said:

Halftones are not possible. It’s black or transarent. All or nothing. Inkt or no inkt.

That’s my point!

If you blur the edges around the bird (the way Alfred or Wosven show) you are creating greys (which are halftones). How will you print them?

I think I would experiment with using halftone dots or lines.

Photo has a halftone screen filter.

ht.png.d01060e2c18ad1a2bd583a4f0fa81d05.png

If it works, I would place the halftone shading on a layer  behind the line art part of the bird (as below). The ‘halftone’ dots would then print as solid black dots, rather than as a halftone. 

It would mean a bit of trial and error as I don't know the capabilities of your printer. I have done similar things in the past but I had an imagesetter with a 2540 dpi hard dot resolution.

half.png.cbeedff18a5be9072286547a65c7acfa.png

This is a bit crude but it gives you an idea ?

As I said it would need a fair bit of experimentation but it would open up some interesting possibilities ?

Thank you toltec.

In fact there are 3 things (you mentioned the capabilities of my printer):

- the printer is one thing (its a HP LazerJet8150DN)

- the paper (abezeta is polyester-based day light working, zero proces, dry-to-dry film for making plate-ready offset positives using a desktop computer and a laser printer.)

- and the silk screen (how fine is the raster)

I found a video here (that's not me, I just found it on youtube) that shows how it works: 

I used Photo. I've messed around making vector half tones in Designer, but so far its meant a lot of work, and nothing as nice as what Photo does.

If you do need the sharp lines, I'd suggest all vector lines. Shading would be quite hard, but the style would fit well w. the client's logo.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Hi,

You could try a crosshatch effect,  if you got the free Frankentoon's Texture brushes, there is a nice crosshatch brush in set C, brush FT pencil cross-hatching 02.

Bring in your original png image and create a new pixel layer above, then just paint all over with the hatch brush, then add blend mode Overlay, 100% on the pixel layer, merge down and then go to the Threshold adjustment, i set it to 30% but you might want to play with the settings,  the 3 main steps are shown below.

Sara :)

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture.3PNG.PNG

There a free sample pack on this page

https://www.frankentoon.com/toonlab/painting-with-textures-video

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.