You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What is the key difference between the pencil and brush tool?

• Staff

The Pencil Tool allows you to draw basic vector freehand lines - no brushes - with pressure if needed. The Vector Brush Tool also allows you to draw/paint vector freehand paths but using brushes - both simple vector based strokes similar to the Pencil but with a few variables/settings (tap the More button in the context toolbar on bottom to see them) as well as based on raster textures stretched or repeated along the path - again check the More button on the context toolbar) .

Thankyou. I am thankful you replied so clearly. The thing I’d misunderstood was what a brush actually was - with the advent of Apple Pencil pressure tool capabilities the brush idea had been lost for me. Basically my pencil tool lines look very similar to the ‘brush’ lines so I got confused. 

The next question is about how to how to effectively use the sculpt tool. 

6 hours ago, saamvisual said:

The next question is about how to how to effectively use the sculpt tool. 

There is a video tutorial for the Pencil Tool here, including examples of using the Sculpt feature beginning at about 1:52.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7