You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

iPad or Not

1 hour ago, sfb said:

Can some one tell me,  what is the base iPad that can handle the Affinity range. I have an iPad but  it is an older iPad 2 which maybe to old. 

I went full monkeyshine and got the latest 12.9" iPad Pro with 256 Gig of storage.

And I am THRILLED.

It is my favorite computer - by far. It is faster in many ways compared to my MacBook and MacBook Pro (2016).

The screen. OMG the screen! The screen is so brilliant and bright. It is perfect for electronic artists.

And most important, this iPad with the Pencil has a lot less latency than any other iPad I have.

Now:

I will not be getting the newest iPad coming out later this fall if the rumors are true. It will use FaceId instead of fingerprint Id. Yuck. Even worse, FaceID only works in Portrait mode - a total deal killer on my iPad. And rumors have it the headphone jack will disappear. So, when the new model is announced, I will be rushing to buy this generation's iPad Pro at the typical end-of-life discounted price.

I went with the cheapest iPad that supports the Apple Pencil, the 32 GB 2018 non-pro 9.7" model without a cellular radio. Paired with the Apple Pencil, it is more than enough to run the Affinity apps quite well, including all the cool features the Pencil supports.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 hours ago, MyAmazingDiscoveries.com said:

I will not be getting the newest iPad coming out later this fall if the rumors are true. It will use FaceId instead of fingerprint Id. Yuck. Even worse, FaceID only works in Portrait mode - a total deal killer on my iPad. And rumors have it the headphone jack will disappear. So, when the new model is announced, I will be rushing to buy this generation's iPad Pro at the typical end-of-life discounted price.

I agree with everything you say, except this.. :-) They say faceID will work in portrait mode too, but we’ll see.. 

From when I changed from fingerprint to faceID on my iPhone X, everything else feels so old fashion, and really wish I had it on my iPad Pro and the mini jack, I haven’t missed one second.. 

So, I’ll probably stay in a line for the new iPad Pro.. Anyway, I’m so satisfied with my Pro, Apple Pencil and AP and AD :-) 

Congrats!! :-) 

7 hours ago, MyAmazingDiscoveries.com said:

I will not be getting the newest iPad coming out later this fall if the rumors are true.

It is not unusual for the rumors to be more or less true but not tell the whole story, so I think it would not be the best idea in the world to consider anything a deal killer without first getting as much information about it as is possible after the product is released.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, 276ccm said:

From when I changed from fingerprint to faceID on my iPhone X, everything else feels so old fashion, and really wish I had it on my iPad Pro and the mini jack, I haven’t missed one second.. 

I totally get that FaceID is a gamechanger... on a phone which we normally hold in portrait mode.

But I have never in my life (that I can remember) positioned my iPad Pro in portrait mode. And if the rumors are true, I have zero desire to change that.

I have recently discovered AP and it runs very well on my ipad 2018. There are things that run faster on the ipad version thanbthe desktop version. In my case a i7-7700. I am just scratching the surface of the program right now but I am really impressed with AP.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an older iPad Air 2014. It's running iOS 11.4.1. Affinity Designer for iPad is stated as being "compatible with the iPad Air 2, iPad 2017, iPad 2018, iPad Pro 9.7-inch, 10.5-inch and 12.9-inch." The word "compatible" is not defined. What would happen if I try the app on my iPad Air? If it involves possible loss of some functions, with others working OK, I'll go ahead and give it a try. Anyone with experience in this area?

• Staff

When trying to run the app on any iPad that is not officially compatible, you will see an error message regarding compatibility and the app will then close.

Affinity Photo for iPad requires at least a 9.7 inch screen and uses specific Metal features that are only available to the iPad Air 2, iPad 2017, 2018 and all iPad Pro sizes.

Thank you for the information. That clarifies it. I've been using Affinity Designer for some time on a MacBook Pro, mostly for technical vector illustration, and have been looking forward to the iPad version. It'll have to wait.