You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Couple of things I'd like to see, or know how to do

I would like to switch from Corel.

I often make similar changes to objects. Is there "Repeat" or "Redo" somewhere? But not duplicate, but just use same steps for different object. Let's say I have rectangle. 

It's 100x100cm. I have 5 of them. I want to change one's size to 105x105. After that I want all others to follow. I would like to click on each of them, and as in Corel, click CTRL+R to repeat same manipulation onto those different objects. Is this possible?

Another question - set once and for all across all documents that I want to work as default with mm. Not pixels or points. I don't want to have to change that each time I open new file or create one. Is there an option for that somewhere?

Hi, mrqasq,

Affinity Designer has "symbols."  I've only used then a little bit, but I think they can do exactly what you want. Here's my possibly clumsy explanation.

I made a rounded rectangle, changed the fill color and added a stroke. Using the the symbol studio, I made the selection a symbol, and duplicated it 7 times. One of the symbols, I detached, and change the rectangle to no stroke and a gradient fill. I then turned that into a new symbol. Duplicated that. I took one of the originals, and turned synching off. I changed the fill color, and then re-synched. Its color is now unlinked, but other properties will change along w. the originals.

Base.jpg.4bc5c5f7efb99fc27d332d2670e8ca78.jpg

Change.jpg.50b951bee59e6c67d6abcf00dcf200fb.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

I see what you did there, I know symbols. This is not a solution, as with symbols you have to set one at the begining, and than you work with exact copies of it. In my case I have to apply same transformation to diffrent objects. They are all rectangular, but they are diffrent in their visuals, and have to stay that way. I don't want them to be same. Just the changes applied have to be same and "repeatable". 

Let's say I work with flags. I have different coutries. Each of the flag has to have bleed for sewing or cutting. Now what? I can't do symbols as it won't work.

• Staff

Hi mrqasq,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Currently it's not possible to do what you want in Designer. There also no option to set a custom document template/set a specific unit, sorry - this was requested quite a few times (custom document templates) and may be considered for a future version.

Regarding the first point (replicate steps) i advise you to fill a feature requests in the respective section.

Still not sure I fully understand what you want to do but if your rectangles are all initially the same size you can stack them on top of each other, select them all in the Layers panel and resize them all at once (manually or by using the Transform Panel)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

carl, not possible as I open client files (rectangles) they have many items inside. If I would stack them all on one and make transformation it would also transform items (objects or bitmaps) contained in each respective rectangle :)

When I get home from work I will record video with camtasia and show what I need both in Corel and Designer. MEB already thankfully replied to my question so I will take that in mind.

If you nest your images inside the rectangles and select Lock Children on the rectangle, the images/objects will not resize when you resize the rectangle.

Just select the rectangles and resize from the centre (CTRL key) or adjust in the transform panel.

Grouping and naming the groups just makes it easier to move things around and see what each group contains

Sample file attached

group.jpg

grouped.afdesign

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I think I may know what you're trying to do. So in this attached example, there is a flag in which all objects inside can be changed simultaneously.

But what you are looking into doing is creating multiple flags of different shapes in which all flags can still be changed simultaneously. That, I don't believe is possible, unless you only want to change the main rectangle shape of each flag. After each flag is created, unsync the shapes inside, but keep the rectangle shape still synched.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• 2 weeks later...