You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affintiy Publisher

The fact that Affinity Photo is able to read and write Adobe Photoshop files is excellent. This is the first step to compete with Adobe products. Since you are constantly confronted with the "Standard" Adobe Photoshop, especially with professionals, you can only really exchange data with Affinity Photo this way. 

It must be the same with the Affinity Publisher! If you want to use Affinity Publisher in a professional environment and exchange data with other companies, Affinity Publisher must be able to read and write Adobe InDesign files. This is the only way to really break with Adobe products. 

If Affinity Publisher will not be able to read or write Adobe Indesign files, it will be difficult to do without Adobe products in a process chain. PDF is by far not always the correct format for data exchange. Especially when data still needs to be changed and optimized.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @PhoDesPub. :)

If you’re hoping that Affinity Publisher will be able to read and write INDD format, I wouldn’t hold your breath. IDML import/export seems a more realistic expectation, but even that is unlikely to be available in the first release.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I can well imagine that Publisher will not be able to read and save indd file in the first relaises yet. Only because Indesign probably has Features which will not be included in the first versions of the publisher yet. 
But import and export is a good step. The city of Rom was not built in one day either!

But it will probably be unavoidable for future process integration. It simply depends on which user you are looking for. But I realize that more and more amateurs are working with Adobe subscription products...

I'm on this affinity-waggon because their affirmation to release Publisher. To me it's the missing link to a complete DTP-suite, which should allow me to slowly ditch my still perpetual CreativeSuite License. Never gonna CC.

Of course this means, I got a TON of INDD and linked AI-Files to bring over.

I'm OK if they are converted, if done PRECISELY (Designer only reads the pdf-part of ai and has shifted some logo-colors slightly, obviously color management settings, don't know have to fix in AI or affinity-settings..that's not good.)

As I read the specification of IDML this should give them enough informations to reproduce the basic layout and colors of my publications in the right dimensions. I'm not a programmer but it reads more like HTML-ish or to me - well it's XML with some proprietary extensions, right?

I expect having to repair text-flow, but the text-style-hierarchy should be intact (styles inheriting from other styles) maybe functioning GREP-styles would be a nice-to-have... 

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

• 3 weeks later...

I'm creating a catalogue in A.Designer.

Page by page (artboard by artboard). As soon as Publisher come out I will transfer all work to it (even being beta I'm hoping for the basic to be working fine) because for now i just really need to put info all together (text and images)

But i do really need TABLES.. its a product catalogue with many references.

I would do this on indesign (with the trial) if it would be possible to transfer the work to publisher once is out.

(adobe is 40% off until the end of the month. Affinity the cause?)

INTEL I5 3470 | 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ | SSD EVO850 500GB | MSI 1050 TI 4GB

Windows 10 | Affinity Designer 1.7.0.209 | Affinity Photo 1.7.0.209 | Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.206

26 minutes ago, RM10 said:

Page by page (artboard by artboard). As soon as Publisher come out I will transfer all work to it (even being beta I'm hoping for the basic to be working fine) because for now i just really need to put info all together (text and images)

If you export to PDF from Affinity Designer, you’ll get one artboard per page (starting with the artboard at the bottom of the layer stack).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 1 month later...