You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Design and UI / UX Design — General Open Discussion

Hello All,

I am a print and web base designer and new to Affinity.

I am coming across this issue of Pixel Vs Pints issue with regards creating elements or design work for iOS/mobile development.

As a general discussion would people be interested in talking about this and how Affinity Designer can help me in this area.

Maybe adding Helpful tips and pointers and areas to be aware of.

Especially since I am translating over from a pixel environment…

Many thanks in advance…

Regards,

Titus Tears

Kind Regards,

Titus Tears

• Staff

I think you'll want to wait until next week's Designer beta update because I have just this morning completely changed the way all this works! It now follows Apple's guidelines and makes a lot more sense. It takes away the 'retina' checkbox completely and uses points as document units, dpi set as specified by Apple and then also has the physical device's dpi so that you can view at actual size which is the correct physical size of the device. When you see it, I'm hoping that it will just make a lot of sense now :)

• 2 weeks later...

2015 is the year of SVG on the web ... For some context, I'm some kind of sloppy full stack developer. Most my work has been as a front end dev for web apps. Now back to this whole SVG business. I want tons of transparency between the GUI and the output SVG code. Really I'm just wandering around in the dark, waving my hands around, slightly excited about SVG in the browser. I don't get very excited about this kind of stuff anymore. Oh and I work remote. So I'm showing up to meetup groups talking about "SVG. Is this real life? I'm not sure if I had a dream about converting a designers Illustrator file into some kind of playdate with SVG CSS & JS over at HTML's house. Or if that is what's happening. One way or the other ... IT WAS DOPE." I don't know what I'm ranting about ... But I don't like the feeling that I'm exporting an SVG ... I just want to be all up in it IN Affinity Designer.