philipt18

Exporting a Designer file with an embedded Photo file

I have a file I created in Affinity Photo that has a B&W white pixel illustration and some text, with a Recolor Adjustment layer that gives it a kind of Sepia tint (Hue 38.9, Sat 50%, Blend Mode: Color). I then dragged that image directly into an Affinity Designer file I was working on, and it showed up tinted. I was even able to adjust the color a bit as an 'embedded' file. When I export the Designer file to a PDF, however, the tint is missing. 

I tried removing the recolor adjustment layer from the embedded file, and adding it as a sub-layer above the embedded file in the Designer file itself, but I got the same result.

Interesting. It seems there is some tint in the final image, but because of the higher resolution and the fact that most of the image is black and white, the tint is barely noticeable. Previously I only used this image for the web, and the color showed quite clearly. When at the higher resolution for print the color fades away so much that it's not noticeable unless you zoom in really far and look for the bits of it. Not sure if this is a bug, but it is odd that exporting for web and exporting for print get some different results.

dictionary-header-affinity-text.afphoto

4 hours ago, philipt18 said:

Interesting. It seems there is some tint in the final image, but because of the higher resolution and the fact that most of the image is black and white, the tint is barely noticeable. Previously I only used this image for the web, and the color showed quite clearly. When at the higher resolution for print the color fades away so much that it's not noticeable unless you zoom in really far and look for the bits of it. Not sure if this is a bug, but it is odd that exporting for web and exporting for print get some different results.

dictionary-header-affinity-text.afphoto

I think the issue is that your image is predominately black with a few grey-scale pixels. Recolour will not work on anything that is pure black (like the majority of your image), however it does work on the intermediate grey-scale pixels which is why it is barely visible.

However what is also happening is that when you zoom out on the document it re-scales the rendered screen image to be slightly smaller, which is adding more greys. The recolour adjustment is then applying to these so they become far more obvious when zoomed out.

Now this is similar to the reason it is noticeable when exporting for PDF (For Web). This preset is set to downsample images to a low DPI to create a smaller file for the web, and because if this the downsampling is creating more grey-scale pixels rather than just black, so the affect is more noticeable. Unlike the other two which are not set to downsample (for Export) and downsample to 300dpi (For Print).

I'm not sure on the effect you're trying to achieve but you can use the Recolour FX set to medium grey (128,128,128) and the 'Add' blend mode to apply a medium grey to the non transparent pixels. This means that the recolour adjustment will be more noticeable.

But in summary I don't believe this is a bug, but an unfortunate side affect when zoomed out. However I will query it with development to be sure.