You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How Do You Disable Touch Drawing on Affinity Photo?

Affinity Photo and Designer register finger swipe on the touchscreen as brush inputs. This makes quite a lot of unwanted strokes when using devices with touch display such as Microsoft Surface devices.

Is there any way to configure Affinity Photo and Designer to change the way they react to touchscreen input? It would be very helpful to at least be able to set up the software to ignore the touch inputs entirely.

• Staff

Hi hdd113,

We don't have an option within the app to disable touch input in the app.

You've not mentioned if you are using the Surface Pen or not, but Windows should allow you to disable touches when using the Pen to draw.  In Windows under settings, you should have an option to 'Ignore touch input when i'm using my pen'  which has helped other users when working on the Surface.

• 4 weeks later...

It should behave like other programs such as Microsoft own Paint 3D and Sketchbook and have a toggle to enable touch drawing. This is different as disabling touch input altogether because it enables to use the pen for drawing while at the same time enabling touch for on-screen controls and enabling touch input to selection and moving only while inside the canvas.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I too would love this option.  I'm using a pen with an ideapad. It works beautifully in Krita; However I do more of my work in Affinity Designer.

I thought windows would handle this better... but it seems they left this up to the app makers to turn the feature on/off.

For example. The Krita program does it with the option 'Enable Touch Painting". With it off the Pen works to interact with the drawing bits, and you are able to use your off hand to manipulate zoom, ctrl+z, etc.

Thanks, Hope this is something that can make it into Affinity.

-Ryan

SharedScreenshot.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 3/13/2019 at 3:18 AM, barrettorama said:

I too would love this option.  I'm using a pen with an ideapad.

I’m using a Meko stylus with a Lenovo Flex 14 laptop.

58 minutes ago, barrettorama said:

'Touch for Gestures Only' Preference added in 1.7.

Thanks Affinity Devs.

This doesn’t work for me in beta version 1.7.1.404 of either AD or APh. :(

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)