You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Multipage pdf export issues in Designer

Hi i have just put together a multipage pdf using the artboard method and when the file opens up in acrobat it goes through a multiimage render assembly process of every image in the pdf - i have never seen this happen before - Please have a look at the pdf and tell me if its doing strange things on your machine (im running on a win10pro 64bit with acrobat pro CC) when i exported the pdf from designer using the all pages function it would render all the pages the same as the front cover - so my only way to export individual pages was one by one out of designer and then assemble the pages in acrobat. i never had to do that before in the last build any ideas folks and are anyone else having issues with the VERY important PDF export fuctions?

Please dont spam the owner with dubious prints requests :) unless of course you want to buy something then she would be very happy to oblige :)

Harmonic Blueprint Orderform.pdf

The first page of the PDF contains all the elements from every page, sans the form elements you added in Acrobat. Here's a screen shot of pulling that first page apart with other pages below it.

capture-002055.png.850aab62a53ee5493acdc7c7349489ff.png

Without seeing the AD file, I would have no idea how it got into this state. Haven't seen this issue before, but it likely is going to be that the other artboards are nested into the first artboard or some such thing.

Mike

I suspect that PDF was created using the Export Persona. For a multi-page PDF one needs to use File->Export instead.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I did use the File export function and not the persona one, and i set up the pdf for print output in the options output.

I did create a unique artboard without importing elements into it for the cover page and only used the elements needed for it unlike what i did for the catalogue pages. When i built the artboard i did have all the content in and then i duplicated each one then deleted the unwanted items from each artboard. im guessing this is where it went wrong and somehow nested the contents - it was a very unexpected outcome and a possible issue within Affinity designer to keep an eye out for. Ohh and using the latest build of Designer too btw.

Edited by Smooo67
added extra information

I love the cover, btw. Aside from nice "parts" of it, it's got nice depth to it.

I don't know how you got the PDF into the page order you have. The way AD works is first PDF page from the bottom of the Artboard stack, last page at the top of the stack. But I don't see anything apparent in the layer panel that would cause the problem...but I can only see a single artboard on screen too.

Mike

yes thats how it used to work for me with the bottom artboard in the layers was the first page (only been using Affinity for a short while) but for some strange reason it would not render out all the pages in the pdf export with all pages selected it would just duplicate the front page for every page - really weird and thanks for the compliment MikeW the client loved it too - im in the process of transferring my studio across from Adobe and love working in Affinity - just need to sort out these weird little unexpected things - i dont know if its the Big A making updates to theirs that's deliberately causing havoc for Affinity or my quirky way of doing things on the fly. 

You're welcome. 

If you are selecting artboards then exporting, try with nothing selected and exporting. Unless I am misunderstanding that comment. 

If you would like, feel free to upload the AD file to dropbox or the like and send me a private message with the download link and I'll take a look.

Mike

Very nice work - I've had some glitchy problems with multipage PDF's in the past - luckily not for a while now, the first thing I'd try is make a white rectangle to the bleed requirements and place at on the base layer of each artboard (I know it's really frustrating that you can't view bleed in an dartboard doc, but maybe this will get sorted with next update) as in the past anything that has transparency will not bleed off the edge without this - the other thing I'd try would be to recreate a new document to your requirements and copy paste from the old doc - this has also worked for me in the past - also I've made the silly mistake of having items sitting above an artboard which seems to cause problems.

May be worth a try?

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

I downloaded the PDF and it all seems fine to me?

It opens up straight away 

Screen Shot 2018-07-31 at 19.06.13.png

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk