You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can you turn spell check off?

7 hours ago, SLowmo75 said:

Can anyone tell me how to turn spell check off on AD on iPad, please? I am making a logo where the word is a non word, so it has annoying red spell check wiggles under it that are putting me right off!

Thanks

Wayne

Would it be easier to add the "non-word" to the dictionary?  That way you'd still be checking the rest of the text and you'd ensure the non-word was spelled consistently.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

4 minutes ago, IanSG said:

Would it be easier to add the "non-word" to the dictionary?  That way you'd still be checking the rest of the text and you'd ensure the non-word was spelled consistently.

Better still, on AD desktop there is an option to ignore spelling, which will just ignore the spelling of that word for that specific document

If that option is also on the iPad try that

PS You can unignore that word in that document at a later date if you want to

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

8 hours ago, SLowmo75 said:

Can anyone tell me how to turn spell check off on AD on iPad, please?

14 minutes ago, IanSG said:

This discussion doesn’t really belong in an ‘Affinity on Desktop Questions’ thread, but I can’t find a way to edit the dictionary in AD on iPad.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff
19 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

This discussion doesn’t really belong in an ‘Affinity on Desktop Questions’ thread, but I can’t find a way to edit the dictionary in AD on iPad.

I've split and moved the related iPad questions to a new thread in the relevant section of the forums.

We use the dictionary and spell checker that is being used by your iOS as Affinity for iPad doesn't have it's own dictionary currently. Unfortunately this means currently there's no way to edit the dictionary and add/remove words from within Affinity. I believe you can add words to the dictionary from some Apple apps, but I've yet to find a way to remove these words through the iPads settings, other than resetting the keyboard dictionary in its entirety. 

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• 9 months later...

I was having the same problem on my iPad. I tried AlainP's suggestion and it did the trick! Just to be clear he means the "Text Studio" panel on the right-side menu.

On 7/30/2018 at 8:09 PM, AlainP said:

SelectText in the studio panel (a) - "Burger" menu at the top - Uncheck "Check Spelling While Typing".

Thanks Alain!

Kobretti

• 1 year later...

Using ‘Uncheck spelling while typing’ does not save this setting when the document is closed, which means AD is basically giving me the bird every time I open up my document by showing me the squiggly red lines yet again that I don’t want to see. 

In my opinion this should never have passed Quality Assurance by the fact that it’s a bad UX experience for the user. Really really really really annoying.

• 1 year later...
On 7/15/2021 at 8:29 PM, nahmyq said:

Hey I found that typing the word(s) in Pages and having the iPad learn that word solves the issue. Simply tap on the word in pages and select ‚learn‘.

Close and reopen AD ios

hello, this workaround is brilliant...it works:-) you saved my day as the spelling check is a constant nuisance

• 4 months later...
On 7/15/2021 at 7:29 PM, nahmyq said:

Hey I found that typing the word(s) in Pages and having the iPad learn that word solves the issue. Simply tap on the word in pages and select ‚learn‘.

Close and reopen AD ios

A great workaround, especially given that we can just as easily tell iOS/iPadOS to ‘unlearn’ words that we’ve taught it.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 1 year later...

Is there a way to just turn this spell checker off altogether ?

I'm not using AD2 to write articles for Substack !

It's bad enough that the only way to stop it adding red lines to words is to right click on each word individually but this software seems to completely ignore spelling errors (which aren't even spelling errors ) and then randomly putting red lines under the words out of nowhere - even on text that's been there for weeks and no red lines - all of a sudden it just plonks a red line under the text 🤦‍♂️

27 minutes ago, Brian_J said:

Text > Spelling > Check Spelling While Typing

We're in an old iPad part of the forum....

1 hour ago, awakenedbyowls said:

Brian was close. In the Text studio, tap on the burger menu, and turn of Check Spelling While Typing. Note: V1 does not remember that setting, so each time you switch documents you'll need to set it again.

image.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, awakenedbyowls said:

I'm not using AD2 to write articles for Substack !

It's bad enough that the only way to stop it adding red lines to words is to right click on each word individually but this software seems to completely ignore spelling errors (which aren't even spelling errors ) and then randomly putting red lines under the words out of nowhere - even on text that's been there for weeks and no red lines - all of a sudden it just plonks a red line under the text 🤦‍♂️

I use AD1 and there is a workaround - as Walt wrote you need to renew this setting each time you open AD, but this the mentioned workaround: you need to copy the word with into Pages - click "learn word" (I dont know if thats the correct translation as I use another language), then close and reopen AD and the correct spelling is there without the red line...that works fine for me, but I do mainly vector illustrations and dont use much text so I dont have to do this workaround often

• 4 months later...

I’m sorry but the inability to just turn it off globally feels like a huge oversight. It’s a design program—we shouldn’t have to find “workarounds” just to make our text appear without redline markup.

Three almost-daily ways I encounter this problem:

1– designing for multilingual environments

2– designing for specialized fields with their own jargon

3– wireframing websites and using a lorem ipsum placeholder

I continually leave spell check off on all the design software I use, for the above reasons. But I can’t turn it off on the current Affinity Designer for iPad (there’s no “burger menu” on the Text panel)—the closest I’ve found is clicking “learn” or “ignore” for EVERY word, which is an absurd bother when it’s a large passage of text. I’m stunned this option is nowhere in the application’s global Preferences. Please add it?

IMG_7520.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Lee Henderson said:

But I can’t turn it off on the current Affinity Designer for iPad

You're looking in the wrong place.

image.png

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/27/2023 at 8:42 AM, Lee Henderson said:

I’m sorry but the inability to just turn it off globally feels like a huge oversight. It’s a design program—we shouldn’t have to find “workarounds” just to make our text appear without redline markup.

Three almost-daily ways I encounter this problem:

1– designing for multilingual environments

2– designing for specialized fields with their own jargon

3– wireframing websites and using a lorem ipsum placeholder

I continually leave spell check off on all the design software I use, for the above reasons. But I can’t turn it off on the current Affinity Designer for iPad (there’s no “burger menu” on the Text panel)—the closest I’ve found is clicking “learn” or “ignore” for EVERY word, which is an absurd bother when it’s a large passage of text. I’m stunned this option is nowhere in the application’s global Preferences. Please add it?

I’m with you on this. I know you can disable it, but I still get paranoid that AP might accidentally auto-correct a word. There should be a check somewhere in the setting that completely shut it off for peace of mind. Now I have to make sure that Check spelling is unchecked, and "Replace text while typing" is unchecked in the Settings etc… When you’re working on thousand of pages of text with archaic words, you’ll understand the paranoia. :) The preflight scares me.

9 hours ago, Lee Henderson said:

Thanks, Walt. Your image is different than the posts I found elsewhere on this forum, which all describe a “hamburger menu” as being in exactly the place I was looking.

You weren't looking at iPad screenshots, probably. 

Also, did you try the Help? Help: https://affinity.help/publisher2ipad/en-US.lproj/pages/Text/spelling.html 

image.png.09357b04c4b01bf69f91337fcf723cb5.png

-- Walt
PC:

7 hours ago, artjourney said:

I’m with you on this. I know you can disable it, but I still get paranoid that AP might accidentally auto-correct a word. There should be a check somewhere in the setting that completely shut it off for peace of mind.

Auto-Correction has a specific set of Settings in Publisher (Settings, Auto-Correct), and can be disabled globally.

-- Walt
PC: