jclounge

Panning Jumps Around

Hi there,

When using the middle mouse-button to pan, there is very often a large and disorienting jump in the panning position. The only time it doesn't seem to happen is when very slowly and cautiously engaging and disengaging the pan. Since I instinctively always try to pan fairly briskly, the jump happens almost all of the time, which is extremely annoying.

Cheers, Jules

Hi Jules,

I see what you mean—I'll pass it to the developers. It seems to get stuck if the canvas goes behind the UI too. Thanks.

Edit - It looks like I was using Software as my Display in Preferences > Performance. Setting it to OpenGL or Metal seems to resolve this for me. Can you check what Display setting you are using? 

Thanks Chris, I was already in OpenGL mode, but also now tried changing the modes to Metal and Software, and the jumping still happens.

When instead holding the space bar down and using the left-button, the problem does not seem to occur, so it appears likely something to do with just the middle button panning. Also, you can tell for sure when the jump has happened even if it happens quickly, since the mouse ends up pointing to a totally different part of the canvas, which has jumped from under the mouse instead of sticking to it like glue as you would expect. Strangely, if dragging always in the same direction the problem seems to be reduced after the first drag. But if dragging each time in a different direction, the jumps happen almost every time.

Hey thanks MEB! I tried turning off Better Touch Tool and the problem went away! It's also possible to disable BTT only for the Affinity apps, which is not ideal but still much nicer than having the jumpy panning.

You just made my day so much better! :)