You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Newbie to HDR, image appears faded after merge

I’m attempting to learn by doing with Affinity. I have been attempting HDR merges of landscape photos, most often using a series of three raw images taken using AEB in raw format (Canon 6D if that matters.) Most all of my merged images appear somewhat faded after the merge operation. Am I missing something, doing something wrong, or is this a characteristic of the HDR tool? I can and will provide further info as needed. Thank you!

• Staff

Hi Gytramr65 :)

Could you provide a screenshot of the result you're seeing and if possible upload your RAW images to the following link so I can look into this for you?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/v0KHz8U2GibhzFAH3bnT

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

On 7/31/2018 at 1:30 AM, Dan C said:

Hi Gytramr65 :)

Could you provide a screenshot of the result you're seeing and if possible upload your RAW images to the following link so I can look into this for you?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/v0KHz8U2GibhzFAH3bnT

Well, i think I may have figured out my conundrum. For those who may be wondering - I was attempting to bring out clouds in some landscape photos I had taken using AEB. But in using AEB, the more exposed image was a bit overexposed, thus looking faded, and I believe that the Affinity HDR tool simply picked up the overexposed areas. I think that what I should have done was to use exposure compensation in parallel with AEB so that the “most exposed” image was closer to correct exposure and this might not have occurred. Oh, well, I guess I’ll just have to go out and take some more photos!

Thank you for your offer of assistance. Yep, I’m a rookie - at least with HDR.

Marty