Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Is the Canon 77D supported for raw development? I attach three files, one is a JPEG from the camera, which to me is a very good approximation of how it was when I took the photo. The others are the developed RAW from the camera (without any tweaking), exported as JPEG, and done with the Serif engine and with the Apple engine, respectively. The Serif colours are way off. The Apple engine gives somewhat better results, but still not as good as I would like.

My monitor is hardware calibrated and set to sRGB, as are the camera and Affinity Photo.

I am amazed by the apparent difficulty of supporting cameras for raw development. With my previous 700D camera I have pictures where the Serif engine performs marginally better than the Apple engine. For comparison, I attach those files as well.

Is there something I can do? Is it true that the 77D is not officially supported by Affinity Photo? I hope not. This mainstream camera has been out for over 15 months now.

Thank you for your attention.

PS Tried to upload the files, but got an error: "There was a problem processing the uploaded file. -200". Sorry. I will be happy to provide them by some other means.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Jeroen,

The 77D is supported by the Apple engine but isn't on Serif LABS list.  Without seeing the results you are getting, it's hard to say whats happening. 

I've just downloaded a sample from the 77D and the image when opened in Affinity Photo matches what i see in other apps using the Apple Core Engine and applying a tone curve.  

If you can upload the images that failed and also a RAW file to our Dropbox here and i'll be able to look into this further.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, stokerg said:

Hi Jeroen,

The 77D is supported by the Apple engine but isn't on Serif LABS list.  Without seeing the results you are getting, it's hard to say whats happening. 

I've just downloaded a sample from the 77D and the image when opened in Affinity Photo matches what i see in other apps using the Apple Core Engine and applying a tone curve.  

If you can upload the images that failed and also a RAW file to our Dropbox here and i'll be able to look into this further.

I will upload the 77D pictures momentarily. I will also add a JPEG created by Canon's Digital Photo Professional app, which is in tone very close to the JPEG from camera. The file names should tell you what is what.

Thanks for looking into this and I will be interested to learn of anything you might discover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Jeroen and thanks for the files.

Defiantly get better results with Apple Core Engine and with a few tweaks on the white balance, saturation and shadows, i'm able to get something that matches the Canon app.  It's never a good idea to compare 2 apps against each other as they always have their own method of processing a RAW image and of course, i'd expect the Canon app to open a Canon shot RAW file and have little, if any corrections to make.  If i take your RAW file into other RAW processing apps the output closely matches that of the Apple RAW Engine.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, stokerg said:

Hi Jeroen and thanks for the files.

Defiantly get better results with Apple Core Engine and with a few tweaks on the white balance, saturation and shadows, i'm able to get something that matches the Canon app.  It's never a good idea to compare 2 apps against each other as they always have their own method of processing a RAW image and of course, i'd expect the Canon app to open a Canon shot RAW file and have little, if any corrections to make.  If i take your RAW file into other RAW processing apps the output closely matches that of the Apple RAW Engine.  

Thank you for the trouble.

I do like the Canon processed file best, but there may be other trade offs and I will have to experiment to decide whether it is best to do raw development in Affinity Photo with the Apple Core Engine, or to develop with Canon DPP to 16 bit TIFF and take it from there in Affinity Photo.

In the meantime, I do hope that Serif will come up with good development support for the 77D in the near future, and better than Apple at that.

Thanks again, Jeroen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This also not support raw files on the  Canon 77D camera.  I shot a bunch of pictures in raw format and downloaded them onto my Mac.  I could see the thumbnail just fine and they appeared to download, but when I went to view them, I got this greyed out exclamation point.  Took me awhile to figure out what was wrong, because I have never encountered this before.  It will download jpegs just fine.

Unlucky!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Johnywalter said:

This also not support raw files on the Canon 77D.  I shot a bunch of pictures in raw format and downloaded them onto my Mac.  I could see the thumbnail just fine and they appeared to download, but when I went to view them, I got this greyed out exclamation point.  Took me awhile to figure out what was wrong, because I have never encountered this before.  It will download jpegs just fine.

Unlucky!

Not sure what your setup is, but I found that the Wifi connection to the iPhone/iPad only downloads JPEG files (and, annoyingly, gives them random names at the receiving end, losing the neat name sequencing  the camera). There are also limitations to the EXIF data that are transferred. This is using Canon's Camera Connection App. I suspect it is a limitation of the Wifi setup on the camera side, which may explain your problem with the Mac as well.

To avoid the problem, I either read the files directly from the SD card, or, if there is no SD card reader available, I use the USB cable to connect the camera to a USB port on my device - in my case, if the device is an iPad/iPhone,  through the Apple Camera Connection kit. Either of these methods transfers both JPEG and RAW files, with all the EXIF information intact. Too bad Wifi cannot do that. If you are into raw processing, Wifi really seems only useful to get a quick preview of a photo or to quickly send it to a friend, not for quality work.

Hope this helps,

Jeroen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jeroen said:

I do like the Canon processed file best, but there may be other trade offs and I will have to experiment to decide whether it is best to do raw development in Affinity Photo with the Apple Core Engine, or to develop with Canon DPP to 16 bit TIFF and take it from there in Affinity Photo.

 

That would be the workflow i would follow.  Personally i shoot with a Nikon (an entry level model, D3200) and find Affinity suits my needs with RAW handling. 

 

7 hours ago, Jeroen said:

 In the meantime, I do hope that Serif will come up with good development support for the 77D in the near future, and better than Apple at that.

 

I can't say much on this, mainly because i don't know much as i'm not a Dev but from my understanding we should see big improvements to RAW handling at some point in the future.  Not much help now, i know, but it's something that is always being worked on :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just about to write a post when I saw Jeroen's post here.

That's my problem exactly.

I used to use Canon's DPP to process RAW files from my 77D. Now, having upgraded to Affinity, I am assuming the issue with the colours being faded / grey tinged is because the camera's not supported......YET! I do hope that this is soon!

Viewing the images through DPP or Irfan View (use this to view the RAW thumbnails) the colours are vibrant & as they should be.

Not happy with the colour fading that affinity does.

Is there a date for the inclusion of this camera?

(Am loving Affinity more & more every day as I master new techniques & think that the support is excellent!)

Julie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to bump this thread and see if there is any update on support for the EOS 77D? This camera launched two years ago at this point..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.