Paige

Selecting curves w/Apple pen ( lack precision selecting)

Hi group,

is there a way to adjust the accuracy when trying to select vector curves with my Apple pen? It is making adjusting my vector lines and points a living hell. It selects curves that are not even close to the one I want to select. I used to make this easier by switching to line view but this solution doesn’t work with iPad designer. 

Maybe this is a bug? Not sure..

Thanks ✌️

Hi Paige,

The only way you could adjust the "accuracy" would be to zoom into your work. It would actually be a lot easier to see what the issue is if you were to upload a Screen recording, with "Show Touches" on in Settings > General.

Thanks,

Gabe. 

@GabrielM Zooming in doesn’t work either. 
Q: I’ve never recorded my screen..is there an app/function for iPad that is installed for that??

Thanks

@A_B_C ,wow! So practical!!

The video shows blue dots where I am trying to select with my pencil, but other curves end up being selected.

This happens on all my files. When I create a new canvas and apply a few stokes to test this issue it will work fine?
Note: My work files originated from designer on my Mac.

Hmm … that doesn’t look very nice … of course, I am not talking about your drawing, Paige, but about the bug … :D

I removed the entire layer hierarchy to get a basically “flat” document, consisting of curves only, and I am seeing exactly the same selection problem as shown in the video above. Even at very high zoom levels. This is pretty strange. O.o

5 hours ago, A_B_C said:

This is pretty strange. O.o

From what (very little) I can tell, this seems to have something to do with a lot of open, unfilled curves in close proximity. It is as if the app needs a closed curve to tell which object one is trying to select, if that makes any sense.

Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 & Affinity Designer 1.7.2.6 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

@Paige

I don't use an iPad but see if the attached modified version works better for you as regards selecting objects when zoomed in.

Seems to work better on my Desktop. 

If it also works better on the iPad it should be a "relatively easy" fix if the iPad can do what the Desktop can do to fix it.

Selection_Bug_Fix1.afdesign

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be concerned about.

@Paige, this is a known issue and already logged with our developers. A workaround would be to switch to outline view and that will select the curves correctly. 

@carl123, we would be interested to know how you fixed this. Can you please share this with us? 

moved to bugs

1 minute ago, GabrielM said:

A workaround would be to switch to outline view and that will select the curves correctly. 

At least for the Selection_Bug_1.afdesign file, that does not work on my iPad. For example, try to select on the canvas the second curve in the mouth group, the one that forms the teeth, or just about any of the curves of the eye.

Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 & Affinity Designer 1.7.2.6 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

15 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

Interesting fix, Carl … selecting strokes seems to work now … but it seems you destroyed the stroke width dynamics … :)

Original.png.c05a0566d72bec9ad2b2534ec8af8779.png

Fixed.png.b227eff1b78c76d8695deebb75ada486.png

I was only interested in fixing the selection problem

Give me an hour (something else to do first) and I'll advise what I did, the Devs can take it from there

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be concerned about.

1 hour ago, GabrielM said:

@Paige, this is a known issue and already logged with our developers. A workaround would be to switch to outline view and that will select the curves correctly.

@carl123, we would be interested to know how you fixed this. Can you please share this with us?  

moved to bugs

When zoomed in and looking at the curves that make up the hand, the stoke setting showed it was set to 54px, when they clearly did not look that big.

Also noticed that each curve could be selected by clicking way outside it's normal (blue) bounding box area.  This extra selection area (let's call it Area 51) seemed to be related to the size of the stroke, which as mentioned was set to 54px.

I theorised that Area 51 was an invisible extra area of 27px (1/2 of 54px) all around the blue bounding box of each curve, which due to the numerous curves that made up the hand was preventing you from accurately selecting the curve you wanted.  This was further complicated by the ordering of the curves layers which meant that some curves were more prone to be selected than others due to being above them in the layer stack.

Tests showed that by reducing the size of the stroke (54px) to say 5px you could then more accurately select the actual curve you wanted as the Area 51 effect was greatly reduced.

So what was causing Area 51?

Looking at he brush stroke profile (shown below) it looked to me like there was a lot of black surrounding the actual stroke of the brush

figone.png.1d83073a75b33ef84a931cbb8cf4e2f5.png

I then again theorised that this black area was what was causing the Area 51 effect

So I quickly screenshotted the brush stroke, cropped it to remove virtually all of the black area, saved it as a png file and created a new Intensity brush from it

( png file used shown below )

testbrush.png.318b6dc9e577c538832190fef737c23e.png

I then selected the main group containing all the curves (the "Doctor" Layer) and doubled clicked on the new brush I had just created to change all the curves to use that brush.

This created a large mess as the default stroke size was 64px but by then reducing the stroke size to a more reasonable value of say, 5px the image was made "whole" again.

Now the Area 51 effect seemed to be eliminated and you could easily select the actual curve you wanted without selecting nearby ones.

I do not know if the OP created her own brush or used one of the in-built iPad ones but either way recreating the brush without the black area around the brush stroke seemed to cure the problem in this particular case.

Hope that helps.

Wow, this is what I would call dedicated sleuthing, Carl … :)

And I don’t mean to play the devil’s advocate, but your theory would entail that if I would not apply a Texture Brush to my contours, selection would work perfectly. Unfortunately, that is not the case. I flattened the document hierarchy and used a Solid Line stroke with just a pressure profile on every contour. Yet, while the situation improves a bit, the precision problem still persists, even at very high zoom levels. Hmm. :(

It's hard to comment on all occurrences where this problem may occur.  I was only looking at the OP's supplied design file to see what I could do with that particular example.

If you upload the file (in your video) you are having trouble with someone may be able to see a reason why it is happening there or it may just be the case that there is still a bug somewhere that the Dev's have to fix at some point.

1 hour ago, carl123 said:

Looking at he brush stroke profile (shown below) it looked to me like there was a lot of black surrounding the actual stroke of the brush

I give up. How did you determine what was the Document Defaults for the brush(es)? When I try the only way I know to see a brush's document defaults, it depends on the brush I have selected in the Brushes Studio, not the curve I have selected.

What I did notice that might have something to do with the 'area 51 effect' is many of the curves had a pressure curve that never went above about 50% of the stroke width, but I don't see any obvious correlation between that & which curves are difficult to select on the canvas.

24 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I give up. How did you determine what was the Document Defaults for the brush(es)? When I try the only way I know to see a brush's document defaults, it depends on the brush I have selected in the Brushes Studio, not the curve I have selected.

Rightly or wrongly I just selected a curve and in the Stroke dialogue I just clicked on properties

properties.jpg

11 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Rightly or wrongly I just selected a curve and in the Stroke dialogue I just clicked on properties

So can I assume you did that in the desktop app & not on an iPad?

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

So can I assume you did that in the desktop app & not on an iPad?

Yes, I do not have a compatible iPad (or any need) for Affinity on an iPad

6 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Yes, I do not have a compatible iPad (or any need) for Affinity on an iPad

Thanks for the confirmation. I was a bit confused because this topic was posted in the Bugs On iPad forum, so I was trying to figure out how much of this is caused by bugs on the iPad app vs. bugs that affect both versions, & what if any workaround would work on the iPad. O.o

29 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

Here are the files. And a video showing my experiences on the desktop. :)

Flattened-Solid-Stroke-Pressure.afdesign

Flattened-Solid-Stroke-Pressure.mov

Your strokes do look smoother but unless I am mistaken aren't they using the same brush as the OP used.

Also your stroke size now appears to be 19px but that is also too large for what I see on screen and the Area 51 effect is still there,  just reduced in it's size

figtwo.jpg