jarnoh

EXR channels go missing on save

I bought Affinity Photo to work on multichannel EXR files rendered with Blender.  These files have lots of channels, say 13, containing normal XYZ, texture UV etc.  While Affinity Photo 1.6.7 does load these files correctly, I only get 9 channels out when I save the file.

This seems to be related to channel names, e.g. U and V channels load, but only V channel is saved.

I'm attaching a 256x256 two channel EXR file with U and V channels, this gets saved as simple V channel by Affinity Photo.

I'm also a bit puzzled with Affinity Photo combining some layers, e.g XYZ but not those UV layers.  Is there a way to combine/uncombine those as separate layers?

uv.exr

Hi Jarnoh,

Do you have any files that contain those XYZ layers that are being combined that you could attach? What other apps have you tried that opens these EXRs with all layers in tact? I've tried Photoshop, but that doesn't even like the one with just the U and V channels!

Here's one generated with oiiotool and amazing trackpad art

oiiotool rgb.png -chnames render.R,render.G,render.B xyz.png -chnames normal.X,normal.Y,normal.Z --chappend uv.exr -chnames texture.U,texture.V --chappend -o rgbxyzuv.exr

It has 8 channels (oiiotool --info -v output):

rgbxyzuv.exr         :  256 x  256, 8 channel, half openexr
    channel list: normal.Y, normal.Z, normal.X, render.R, render.G, render.B, texture.U, texture.V

After trip to Affinity Photo, toggle layer off/on to allow saving and then Save...

rgbxyzuv.exr         :  256 x  256, 7 channel, float openexr
    channel list: normal.Y, normal.Z, normal.X, render.R, render.G, render.B, texture.V

As you can see, U channel is lost.

rgbxyzuv.exr

Hi jarnoh,

Thanks for the files! I've passed the issue on with not exporting all channels to development. With regards to the grouping, I'm wanting to query this with someone who is not back into the office until next week. However the only way I could view this file inside Photoshop was by using the Pro EXR plugin, and even with that it was combining all channels into a named set, giving me three layers: texture.[V], render.RGB and normal.[X][Y][Z]!