You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi there,

I'm guessing I'm not seeing the obvious here, but I'm not seeing the ability to symmetrically paint. I can mirror layers and selection just fine, but I'd like to be able to mirror across a specific or multiple axes as I paint. Is that feature available?

Thanks,

Alec

Hi Alec

You can do it (sort of)  in Designer using Symbols. Bit complicated though, and I don't think it's possible in Photos:

1899646661_Screenshot2018-07-29at23_53_27.png.7e02f56748ec068279d7ae714a5217a5.png

Which are you using?

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

Sorry, in a huge rush. Brief instructions below and sample file to try out.  (No screen grabs I'm afraid.)

You have to do quite a bit of setting up. There may be quicker ways but  this works for me.

1) Create a new document, preferably square.

2) In Vector persona, draw a rectangle or any other shape. The size is not important.

3) Display the Symbols palette, make sure Sync: is selected, select the rectangle and create a new symbol. This will "nest" the rectangle into the symbol.

4) Let's say you want six-fold symmetry. In the Layers palette, duplicate the symbol five times, giving you six identical symbols.

5) In the Symbols palette, click Sync: to turn off synchronisation.

6) Leave the top symbol in the Layers palette as it is.

7) Click on the second symbol (not rectangle) in the Layers palette. Display the Transform palette. Rotate the symbol 60˚. (360˚/6).

8) Rotate the remaining four symbols in the same way, to 120˚, 180˚, 240˚, 300˚.

9) Click the Sync: button in the Symbols palette to re-synchronise the symbols.

10) In the Layers palette, delete the rectangle from the top symbol. This will delete it from all the other symbols too, but you may get a 'ghost' of the rectangle remaining. It will disappear.

11) At the top of the layers stack, create a new Pixel layer. Drag it into the top symbol so that it "nests" and appears in all the other symbols.

12) Switch to pixel persona. Paint in the top pixel layer. It should be replicated in each of the other symbols, rotated about the centre in six-fold symmetry. 

Symmetrical painting.afdesign

Edited by h_d
Corrected two typos.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.