ErrkaPetti

Trying to apply an raster pattern to object...

Hello there, Affinity-lovers!

Tonight I saw an illustration of an surfboard on the internet.

And, when zooming in on that surface I saw an very interesting pattern, just like a fabric in black and grey...

My try to replicate this in Designer for iPad was to make three grouped object with a lot of parallel lines (made by pen tool and a grid/snapping)...

I thought I could use the Geometry functions in the app to “cut out” my above layed object and maintain the nice fabriclike pattern (had applied an overlay layer effect just to see the pattern thru my object)...

But, there’s a but, I just can’t to cut out just my object with that nice pattern applied...?

Any suggestions on that? Is it possible at all? See my teo screenshots:

thank’s in advance!

1E755F20-E728-4405-8F60-392BC050E95C.png

CA11C314-8E3F-44BE-BAE4-BD6C05722B8C.png

Hi ErrkaPetti :)

You can select all of the layers that are being used to create the effect and nest them within the Tear shape. These lines will now clip to the boundary of the the shape itself and the operation is non-destructive, so you can edit it later if you wish!

10 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Hi ErrkaPetti :)

You can select all of the layers that are being used to create the effect and nest them within the Tear shape. These lines will now clip to the boundary of the the shape itself and the operation is non-destructive, so you can edit it later if you wish!

But, @Dan C - That’s was the actual question... How do I do that?

I’ve tried all evening last night, without success...

Somehow, I think there is a solution...

Further to the excellent tutorial by @Dan C, rather than swipe across every single layer, you can tap on the first layer, then tap with two fingers on the last layer to select both layers and every layer in between. Like shift clicking in the desktop version.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

@Dan C - Thanks for that video...

But, it don’t work either (in this particular case)...

But, you gave me hope and I just manage to do it!

I grouped the three linegroups, and then, the important thing, I droped the drop-object on the grouped lineobjects ICON, not in the middle as I have seen on different tutor videos...

Thanks for helping and the currage to try again!

3 minutes ago, toltec said:

Further to the excellent tutorial by @Dan C, rather than swipe across every single layer, you can tap on the first layer, then tap with two fingers on the last layer to select both layers and every layer in between. Like shift clicking in the desktop version.

Great tips!!!

Todays best!! Thanks!

There are a lot of things that you missed, even though you’re looking thru the documentation and follow all 60(!) tutor videos from Affinity Team!

Glad to hear it! Dropping layers into an icon will nest and mask the layers, hence the 'crop' icon you can now see in the layers panel. :)

Another thing, related to this little pattern making (hundreds of linear lines crossing each other for a nice fabriclike pattern:

Once upon the time a had a vector drawing program that had an tremendous feature, select an object, open up an request windows, there you could copy and paste back with a lot of features, like rotate 1 degree, move 1mm X, Move 1mm Y, Amount of copies to insert etc etc - very powerful for making great parallel patterns!

You can perform similar operations using smart duplication, but there's no such panel to allow multiple operations and copies at once. You could post in our feature requests section of the forums and our devs may consider adding it! :D

11 hours ago, Dan C said:

You can perform similar operations using smart duplication, but there's no such panel to allow multiple operations and copies at once. You could post in our feature requests section of the forums and our devs may consider adding it! :D

Said and done!

Now I have made an request for Designer on the right thread...

I even included an simple GUI how it possible should look like...