You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

18 minutes ago, Affinity Revolution said:

It looks like your photo would benefit from making a selection with the pen tool. Then the edges would be nice and crisp. 

I agree with Ezra, use the pen tool in smart mode when you need a clean outline, just tap around the object then convert to a selection. This is especially with man made objects that have clean lines.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

You can easily cut this out with a smallish Selection Brush Tool and a bit of refining.

Original Image.
784939690_SkaterOriginal.jpg.1510ccb739621fdee8e647f1350e6207.jpg

Skater Selected, I added a bit of artistic licence in the form of DOF blur on the board to give a bit of action.
496868611_skaterselected.jpg.eb6aa8e9ba0a51530d95ddd6db605063.jpg

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Personally speaking, I've had mixed results when using the selection tool to cut out an image. The higher resolution the image, the better the result, this would seem to be the golden rule here. I've spent way too long trying to get something right with the refinement tool only to end up frustrated and disappointed with the outcome. More times than not now, and to avoid any further faffing about, I now use the pen tool as a first option to cut an image out - at least that way I know that when I apply 'cut,' 'mask,' or whatever, that picture will be right and exactly how I want it to be.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

Knowing how to use the refine option helps a lot, it is an oft ignored part of the selection process, once I got to grips with it, the selections process became a lot easier.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

6 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Knowing how to use the refine option helps a lot, it is an oft ignored part of the selection process, once I got to grips with it, the selections process became a lot easier.

Yes, I'm sure you're right in what you say. The problem I've got is knowing what to get to grips with? I faffed about with that refinement tool and every option that it has available to try and clear away all the crap that seems to adhere itself around my selections, but each and every time it just gets worse around the most important part of the image - namely, the edges. I've used the modifier keys which helps in most cases but even that falls short at times. And like I said, I now default to the pen tool, it might take a bit more time but hey. . .there's no rush and I know how it will turn out when I'm done.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

13 hours ago, Westlake said:

What did I do wrong and how do I fix it?

You need to supply the original image for more relevant advice on using the Selection Brush Tool on that particular image or else you will just end up with guesswork answers and recommendations to use another tool

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

18 hours ago, Westlake said:

What did I do wrong and how do I fix it?

Don't worry. You did nothing wrong. It's just Refine Selection trying to imagine how you wanted the selection to look!

10 hours ago, AffinityJules said:

The problem I've got is knowing what to get to grips with? I faffed about with that refinement tool and every option that it has available to try and clear away all the crap that seems to adhere itself around my selections, but each and every time it just gets worse around the most important part of the image - namely, the edges.

A delightful description! :5_smiley: My experience exactly, time after time.:2_grimacing: Unless selecting a large area of a high res image, it's best left alone.

I now just make a selection, go to Select > Feather, choose  a single digit number to apply, then duplicate to a new layer and view that layer on its own to see if it's what I want. At least that way I know what's been done and how I can alter it to suit.

The thing with Refine Selection is it thinks for itself. If it's thinking what your thinking it's a great help. But for the most part it doesn't and then it's like having a well-meaning toddler changing the settings when you're not looking: Difficult to second guess.

R

P.S. We've watched the videos, read the help, and "practiced interacting with the dialogue box". But maybe @firstdefence or @carl123 could post a mini-tutorial as to what does what in the Refine dialogue box, and even better how to stop the following scenario: That part's not quite right > now it's a bit worse > now it's a LOT worse > now it's ...OMG abandon ship!

Affinity Designer & Photo  :  Win 10

Understanding what each of the options does in the Refine dialogue can be learned via the inbuilt help or by playing with them. What is more useful is knowing when and which one to use (if any) on a particular image and as each image is different I don't think you could write a tutorial to cover all eventualities.

But if people have trouble with a particular image or selection then uploading that original image and a sample of the output they got may let people help by explaining how they would have done it, if the way they do it produces a better result.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 hour ago, carl123 said:

But if people have trouble with a particular image or selection then uploading that original image and a sample of the output they got may let people help by explaining how they would have done it, if the way they do it produces a better result.

Agreed, best way to demonstrate for people is on the image they are trying to get a selection from.