You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

All I want is a simple taper brush with pressure control...

...exactly like the brush in Adobe Draw.

No matter what settings I adjust in either vector brush or pencil in Affinity Designer, I cannot get a tapered brush that also works with pressure control. I can get the taper at both ends if I switch pressure off, but then every stroke is the same width.

Please help! Maybe someone could send me a working brush if I’m doing it wrong! This alone would see me move away from Adobe Draw, and ultimately Illustrator.

2 hours ago, Hydrology said:

Sure did.

What did you set the controller to?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi, Hydrology,

See the attached sample. Pencil work, with Sculpt turned on. Vector, w. brush dynamics adjusted to have size variation. Both using the default pressure curve.

1266289509_PencilVBrush.jpeg.377a0a18909b9a8c720a17e840801cc6.jpeg

More.jpeg.b304b4b7c5f42a69441c613ef4174cc9.jpeg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Sebastian C.'s approach works very well. As far as I can tell, the stroke pressure adjustments are only available within the document.

The desktop version allows multiple pressure profiles to be saved and assigned from the stroke panel. In the iPad version, I've only been able to transfer the pressures by "copy/paste style" between different strokes.

The desktop version allows the stroke pressure curves to be saved as layer styles, and available to all documents. So far I've found no way to do that in the iPad version. Perhaps a feature request is in order.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

Huion WH1409 tablet

Thanks guys,

I can achieve this style of taper, but what it doesn’t give me is pressure adjustment - I don’t want every stroke to have the same thickness.

It seems silly - it means for my workflow I have to continue to have a Creative Cloud subscription - I have to do my linework in Adobe Draw, export it to Adobe Illustrator, then save and import into Affinity Designer, which kinda makes Designer of no use to me.

Hello, again.

I was looking at the screen cap from Draw, and had a thought. I'd been working on some textured image brushes for use w. the vector brush that would emulate wood cut strokes. Tried them out, and thought they might be worth a look. They seem to respond to pressure pretty well, and this was just the 1st trial.

436237742_cutstrokes.jpeg.8a6a7e87a5ae718d2a99ac9f7ee571d0.jpeg

Huion WH1409 tablet

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 1/7/2019 at 11:42 PM, Hydrology said:

Again, I ask if this has been fixed for the iPad version?

Havent used it since I bought it and could not get pressurised taper brush to work like it does in Adobe a Draw.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Thanks for the video but this is nothing like the taper I want and screenshotted above from Adobe Draw.

How hard is it for this paid software to allow me to use a taper brush just like I do in Adobe Draw - a FREE app?

I haven't used Affinity since I bought because of this - I find it hard to believe nobody else needs this simple "feature"

Hi Hydrology,

"How hard".

Methinks you miss the economics of a free 'gateway' app into the world of global Adobe subscriptions versus an app trying very hard but with much smaller resources (and price tag).

I'm a newbie to this too, and I would looooove to get rid of my Adobe Sub.

Cheers