You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Canon DPP4 vs Affinity for RAW (noob here)

Hello, I just bought Affinity Photo.

I really like it so far. I have just one small question. (Btw I am a low level noob here). I have a Canon T7i (I know its not on the list of supported cameras). When I open a RAW in Canon Digital Photo Professional 4, my pictures are really colorful and sharp, and in short, beautiful, without me having to touch anything. 

But when I open the same RAW files in Affinity, sadly they look bland, without colors, like they have a hazy fog filter on them. I know its on my side and the program is perfect. But is there anything I missed somewhere? Should I click something to have the same look in Affinity? Or am I supposed to open my RAW in DPP4. adjust the colors-tone, etc. then convert the picture in another format for Affinity to be able to recognize it and then work the picture from there? Or is Affinity supposed to be able to do everything from start to finish? If I need to convert from DPP4 to Affinity do you have a suggestion for the format I should transfer the picture to.

If someone has the time to answer my questions I would be really grateful.

Thank you for your time, have a nice day.

HI, and welcome...

Possible reasons:

-Your camera is not supported/fully implemented

-The engine of the two software are different and so you got different color rendering

- Chek if you image is 32 bit HDR or rgb 16Bit in "develop assistant" and no automatic filter are applied (like tonal curve)

- You have set two different color profiles for DPP4 and AP.

Develop persona, It's mostly a simple RAW converter/developer and photo editing module, that offer a workflow like “ad0b.”Camera RAW, just one RAW file to manage exposure, shadows an so on, and then finish the job on PS. In Affinity Photo is pretty the same! Open your RAW for a general/first adjustments/development, then click Develop to finish your job in Photo Persona!

Unfortunately, Affinity Photo Develop also has some management issues with histograms... in many cases are completely "moved to left."

So my personal tips is: develop your Raw file in DPP4 because is  better optimized and surely fully support your camera, and then move directly to Affinity photo Persona, It's really powerful, for further adjustments and manipulations. .

Hope I have not forgotten anything else to help you, and hope someone else will help you further more.

Cheers.

Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate.

Thank you for the explanations. Just one small question if you still have the time: Do you have a suggestion about the format I should develop in DPP4, is Jpeg good enough or is there something better in Affinity?

Have a good day.

20 hours ago, SebJulien said:

Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate.

Thank you for the explanations. Just one small question if you still have the time: Do you have a suggestion about the format I should develop in DPP4, is Jpeg good enough or is there something better in Affinity?

Have a good day.

You are welcome!

In a couple of words... JPEG or JPG is a compressed file format and when You convert a file from a RAW you loss some information and quality -based on the output quality you have choose- is a standard and "light file" format, suitable for many purposes.

If you need a professional prints or you need a maximum digital quality without any loss of quality/informations, better choose TIFF format, "heavy file", For example for offset print and quality photo.

Anyway if U shot in RAW You can always choose all formats you want and when You want, Your RAW file always keep all your shot info. 

I suggest you a good link to read: https://affinityspotlight.com/article/raw-actually/

Cheers!