You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello :)

I've been using join curves options quite frequently to fill/colour my graphs.

And it suddenly doesn't work :( 

(Actually importing excel graph suddenly started not to work. Copy and pasted used to beautifully copied my graphs before but now it copies it to an enormous scale no matter what.. So now I copy it and always open from clipboard, wonder if that might have something to do with it?)

I am trying to 'join curves' of 1+2 to create 4 but doesn't do anything. (Pen tool alone used to work on 1 to generate 4 but not anymore)

If I draw a similar graph using a pen tool (3) then it works.

So I am guessing there is something wrong with the format(?) of my excel graph (1) but just don't know what.

I have so many graphs to fill and I want to cry :4_joy:

If anyone could offer any suggestions, it would be great. Thanks!

Join curves problem.afdesign

• Staff

Hi Hojung,

Welcome to the forums :)

I've looked into your file and there does appear to be an issue with the import from Excel. Firstly, if you go to Edit>Preferences>General and select 'Copy items as SVG' this may help with import.

Failing that, could you provide me a copy of the excel graphs before being imported into Affinity? If you don't wish to make these public you can send them via message to me through my profile.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2018 at 1:03 PM, Dan C said:

Hi Hojung,

Welcome to the forums :)

I've looked into your file and there does appear to be an issue with the import from Excel. Firstly, if you go to Edit>Preferences>General and select 'Copy items as SVG' this may help with import.

Failing that, could you provide me a copy of the excel graphs before being imported into Affinity? If you don't wish to make these public you can send them via message to me through my profile.

Hi, Dan C

Thank you for your reply.! I somehow managed to join the curves but actually still wonder what the problem might be just copying and pasting the excel graphs.

When I open the excel, copy then paste it on the A4 size affinity designer, the scale of my graph goes to big. And it worked just fine before :s 

If you could take a look at it that would be great.!

Hojung

Original excel graph.xlsx

• Staff
19 minutes ago, Hojung said:

When I open the excel, copy then paste it on the A4 size affinity designer, the scale of my graph goes to big

The size of the graph will relate to your DPI. I've attached an example of this below with the graph you provided on an A4 document, pasted in at different document DPI settings.graph.thumb.jpg.d7f1d4990e6642bb9e77713a1ca305a3.jpg 

However I can't replicate the issue with your original file, when I copy a graph into Designer I get the following in a group:
image.png.177b588f64308de26aff1c43644f6e84.png

The second curve in the layers panel is the graph line itself, which is one solid curve with all points joined as expected.
2041dc2d5ad27dfcf7d7aaa16db2de50.gif

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

I'm on Mac and from Numbers (Apples Spreadsheet app) I can copy as PDF and Paste into Affinity Designer and can easily convert to curves, it brings in a lot more junk that you have to delete but does the job fairly easily. 

From Dan C's layers snapshot I wonder if Excel is doing the same and exporting copying as a PDF.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 2 months later...
On 8/9/2018 at 10:16 AM, Dan C said:

The size of the graph will relate to your DPI. I've attached an example of this below with the graph you provided on an A4 document, pasted in at different document DPI settings.graph.thumb.jpg.d7f1d4990e6642bb9e77713a1ca305a3.jpg 

However I can't replicate the issue with your original file, when I copy a graph into Designer I get the following in a group:
image.png.177b588f64308de26aff1c43644f6e84.png

The second curve in the layers panel is the graph line itself, which is one solid curve with all points joined as expected.
2041dc2d5ad27dfcf7d7aaa16db2de50.gif

Thank you Dan C, I think the problem was the DPI.! 

I managed to solve the issue and am really happy.!! 

I just wanted to say thank you (although rather late..) for helping me and keeping this community so nice.

On 8/9/2018 at 10:26 AM, firstdefence said:

I'm on Mac and from Numbers (Apples Spreadsheet app) I can copy as PDF and Paste into Affinity Designer and can easily convert to curves, it brings in a lot more junk that you have to delete but does the job fairly easily. 

From Dan C's layers snapshot I wonder if Excel is doing the same and exporting copying as a PDF.

I didn't know.! until I read your reply that the program recognise every lines and dots when importing as PDF.

I found this so useful and have been doing it when playing with Matlab images.

Thanks for your useful tip!!