You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why I import RGB pic to CMYK doc of Photoshop and it still looks the same while AP not?

RGB pic to CMYK doc of Photshop = same color as it was in RGB mode.

RGB pic to CMYK doc of AP = different color. Mostly negative.

I've tried to search for answer and I know that someone talk about gamut, color space, color profile, color proof, etc.

But frankly with my stupidity I don't know why Photoshop can maintain the same saturation, brightness, etc, while AP can't do so. I'm not educated in digital arts enough and this really bother me for a big while. Can someone tell me the answer so I can sleep well from now on? Is it possible to have AP act like photoshop when import RGB file into CMYK doc? Thanks a real million!

I would check...

- If it is the same exact image. Some images have tones that wont get out of CMYK spectrum (ie, you don't have certain intensive greens, etc). 

- What CMYK profiles are you using to convert too. It can vary quite from one to another, between two CMYK color profiles.

- In what way are you converting (relative, absolute, perceptual, etc) This alone can make a world of difference, just like other settings applied in the exact moment of conversion.

- In what color space was the image originally... Adobe RGB? sRGB ? it can also introduce variance.

- If you could upload the photo, if there's no copyright issues or etc to upload for helping here, then someone with Photo could help you find the issue.

Also, telling us to which exact CMYK color profile would you want to convert the image to.

I am not offering for that help, as I don't have Photo.... :$

Edit: And that you are trying to convert from a specific RGB color profile, to a specific CMYK color profile, and is the same situation in AP.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Thanks SrPx. My CMYK profile is SWOP v2 (both PS and AP)

The first one is original sRGB from DAZ Studio

original.thumb.png.d5303fb679e3d7eb3657d7f51ef02378.png

The second one is the result of importing to new CMYK doc of Photoshop. The result is almost exactly the same to the original.

1319913918_ScreenShot2561-07-28at16_01_19.thumb.png.c43ee8d5100e3e27de466d1db7d2c917.png

The third one is imported into new CMYK doc of AP

1518777195_ScreenShot2561-07-28at16_02_41.thumb.png.684e099c50c45fb9bd6faa0b0120bb9b.png

As you may notice, red level is dropped dramatically. Sometimes it's good. But most of the time I have to abandon AP because it takes too much time to adjust the color alone (I'm not such a professional and editing color is not my beloved job).

To add a point of view. I suspect that now I have a stupid workflow. I import original pic to new CMYK doc of Photoshop. Then I open the saved psd file with Affinity Photo. I apply the AP's features I like. Then export to psd again for easiness of final procedure in Indesign. I just want to know a way to do it alone in AP. I know that nothing wrong with gamut since I can import CMYK psd file with no flaw. Just don't know how to import original file into AP without color problem. Thank you!

OWENR, if you have any products or services, please tell me. I will buy yours immediately. I can't thank you enough. This is very important to my job. I don't know why I wait till now. Thank you! You really safe the day. I've spent countless days to research with no answer and spent several days converting back and forth from PS to AP. Now it ends!