donka

Importing latest version from Photos.

I know this has been reported a few times in the past but will it be addressed as this is a real block for workflow? AP always imports the unmodified original image from Photos and not the latest version meaning if you have made any changes in Photos and this is what you are expecting to see in AP, it won’t be and you have lost your Photos edits when working in AP. Every other editing app I use pull the latest version so no idea why AP still works this way. 

It really needs to either pull the latest version or offer the choice of original or latest. 

Hi Donka,

We've spoken to development about this issue before on the desktop releaseand they've said that it is only possible to do one or the other and cannot over a choice. So they've gone with something that most users are likely to want to do and that is to edit the original file.

However the issue on the iPad is still outstanding and with development to fix on the iPad so I shall get that bumped.

5 minutes ago, donka said:

When you say fixed on the iPad, is that to allow importing the latest version?

The issue has been reported to them, but not yet sure of what the outcome will be.

There is a way to use the latest modified Photos version in Affinity Photo iPad. Actually, there are two ways but one of them sometimes crashes AP, so that probably needs to be looked at by the developers.

The non-crashing way: on the AP Home screen, drag Photos from the Dock up into a side panel & navigate in that panel to show the thumbnail of the edited version of the photo in the camera roll or Moments view. (It must be one of the small, thumbnail views, not a larger photo-only one.) Then tap & hold on it for a moment until it 'lifts' & grows slightly larger, & then drag that into the AP Home screen. When a green circle with a plus sign appears, lift your finger & that version will be added as a new document to the Home screen.

The sometimes crashing way: open an existing or create a new document in AP, then do as above & drag a Photos thumbnail from the side panel into that document. This is effectively the same thing as Place, & results in an "image layer." That works fine, except that if you then use the 'unclip canvas' option from the Document Persona & the placed image is much larger than the canvas, at least on my non-pro iPad with just 2 GB of memory the app may crash, I think because it runs out of memory.

I think this could be avoided if it worked like the regular Place & gave users a chance to place the image at a reasonable size within the canvas.

Affinity Photo 1.7.1, Affinity Designer 1.7.1, Affinity Publisher 1.7.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.143 & Affinity Designer 1.7.1.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1