You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tutorial: How to Create a Fantasy Map in Affinity Designer

Link to Tutorial:

http://hmturnbull.com/writing/fantasy/map-making/introduction/

Description:

On my website I'm writing a series of tutorials on how to create a fantasy map using Affinity Designer.  I've seen a lot of tutorials for fantasy cartography, but they all seem to focus on either hand-drawn maps or maps made in raster software.  Using my method, one can create a fantasy map that will scale infinitely and is easier to edit throughout the process.

In this tutorial, I will teach you how to make a versatile map that you can use for stories or role-playing games.

A map I made for my Dungeons and Dragons campaign

Hello Peregrin,

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences with us. I do appreciate that.

I found your fantasy world map tutorial by Google. I was looking for a tutorial for Affinity Designer to draw fantasy world maps. Great was my surprise I found yours right away. Exactly what I was looking for.

It is really a great tutorial. I have Affinity Designer on this laptop, Inkscape I had to download and install. On this moment I only read your tutorial and you give very usefull advice and suggestions. For the same reason as you, I prefer to work as much as I can with vectors. Editing and changing objects is much easier and scaling is lossless.

Now it is time to draw my own world for my fantasy book. You are correct when you say a map is necessary because during the whole writing process, you do not loose track of the fantasy world.

Keep up the good work!

Chris

9 hours ago, Bad_Wolf said:

Hello Peregrin,

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences with us. I do appreciate that.

I found your fantasy world map tutorial by Google. I was looking for a tutorial for Affinity Designer to draw fantasy world maps. Great was my surprise I found yours right away. Exactly what I was looking for.

It is really a great tutorial. I have Affinity Designer on this laptop, Inkscape I had to download and install. On this moment I only read your tutorial and you give very usefull advice and suggestions. For the same reason as you, I prefer to work as much as I can with vectors. Editing and changing objects is much easier and scaling is lossless.

Now it is time to draw my own world for my fantasy book. You are correct when you say a map is necessary because during the whole writing process, you do not loose track of the fantasy world.

Keep up the good work!

Chris

I'm so happy to hear you find my tutorials helpful.  Making fantasy maps is the main reason I bought Affinity in the first place, and I'm thrilled that I can share the knowledge I've gained with others who have the same need.  :)

• 4 months later...
10 hours ago, Eredcloud said:

Oooh I JUST found this post. I love creating my fantasy maps and battlemaps in Designer vs photoshop. I grew up on Corel Draw (no longer Mac supported) so vector drawing made more sense to me than photoshop drawing. Glad someone else likes using vectors.

I'm just glad I could be of some help to some people.  :)