You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vector Brush stretching despite choosing repeat

I am trying to create a new brushes in the Draw persona. I was successful creating 20+ brushes exactly how I wanted them. Here is an example: 

1306044274_ScreenShot2018-07-26at5_26_30PM.thumb.png.fa4235e664ac231300c0b9d6650523b7.png

However, now every time I try and make a new brush, just like the others and using the same process as the others, the brush continues to stretch despite the fact that I chose repeat:

379637379_ScreenShot2018-07-26at5_27_05PM.thumb.png.6fc795df3de80f5e282c4fbd62b82e7a.png

Has anyone ever had this happen before? Am I missing something obvious? I really appreciate anyone who might be able to help me solve this problem!

• Staff

Hi SuzanneIAm and Welcome to the Forums,

I've tried to replicate this but haven't been able to yet.  Could you share that brush by attaching it here and i'll be able to look into this further :) 

I take it, if you try to recreate the brush the same happens?

• Staff

Thanks for the brushes and the file you used to create the brush :) 

The problem is due to the large black area under the main pattern.  If you try the attached PNG to create the brush again it should work.  All i've done is crop the image to remove the black from the bottom and you can now use the Stretch and Repeat option on the brush :)  

For these brushes, it's always best to use a transparent background and white or any other colour for the main texture

crop v1 for brush.png

Thanks for the reply! 

Unfortunately, the bottom black part is crucial to the structure of the brush. These brushes are for edges, so I need them to be able to sit on a line. Is there a way to adjust where the "middle" of the brush registers on the pattern?

The black part on the bottom was not an issue for the first two brushes, which is even more confusing to me. 

I really appreciate you looking into this for me!

• Staff

I wonder if you've simply selected the wrong type of brush to create? 

Just under the 'New Intensity Brush' you have a 'New Textured Image Brush' option which will work with that texture without removing the black :) 

I see that I can create a Textured Image Brush with a transparent PNG successfully . However, I need to be able to change the color of the texture by choosing a stroke color and it seems that texture image brushes only put a hint of the color over the texture image brush.

Is there a way for the texture to be a true bright red, for example, as a texture image brush?

Don't use White to create a texture image brush use any other colour, then you can change it to any other colour when you use the brush

If you want the black in your png not to show make it transparent

brush23.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 1 year later...

I'm very late to the party, but I've been experiencing the same problem. I do have a solution. I wanted to use the vector Texture Intensity Brush for a load of simple repeating patterns in lines, so I was looking at a load of source images with different widths and heights. I found out the aspect ratio of the source image for the stroke is at the root of this problem.

• If your source image's width is smaller than it's height (e.g. W:120; H:200): repeat fails, the pattern will be stretched, no matter what
  • If your source image's width is smaller than twice it's height (e.g. W:300; H:200): repeat looks not quite as intended
  • If your source image's width is larger than twice it's height (e.g. W:440; H:200): no problems whatsoever

I'm not fully done creating my brush set and I have not tested if the head and tail should be included or excluded in the 'rule set' above. I suspect included. I'll write up a full report when I know more.

For now: If you want to create a nice repeating pattern, see to it that your source image is at least twice as long as it's height.

@SuzanneIAM: Lovely brushes by the way.

Thanks for reporting your findings @AnnieW, very useful and maybe it can be passed on to the dev's to help make the brushes better. will be nice to see the full report... I wait with bated breath :D

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 2 weeks later...

My first conclusions (above) were not quite correct. Repeating patterns show varying degrees of deformation. The amount of deformation changes with the ratio between width and height.There's a specific set of ratios that result in patterns with hardly any deformation.

Test results and work arounds in https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/101575-textured-intensity-brushes-and-body-repeat/