You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I've bought yesterday Affinity Designer for Windows 8. Installation was succesful and the programm does start. But it doesn't create any sheet to work on. When I want to end the programm it tells me, that I should wait for the file to open - but nothing happens. I have to end the programm with the task-manager.
The similar problem happens with Affinity Photo - but here it runs after the next start. Therefor I thought it might be the same with the Designer. But five or more starts aren't successful.

What might be the problem?

Thanks for your support.

After the app starts, do you see a File menu with choices for opening existing or creating new files? If so, choose one of those options & see what happens. The Affinity apps won't open a new empty file by default when opened. You have to tell it what you want to do.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi RC-R,
this is excatly the problem: I see the menu, I tell Affinity Designer what I want to do - but it doesn't react, nothing happens, even not after minutes. And when I want to close the programm it tells me, that there are one or more files to be opened and I should wait. I cannot close the programm - only with the task-manager.
As I wrote, I have a simular problem with Affinity Photo - but when I start the programm again, all works well. Not so with Designer. I couldn't create not even one new file until now.
Really kind of disappointing.

I thought that error had been fixed but see if this thread helps you

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/54657-when-close-application-the-message-comes-please-wait-for-files-to-load-before-quitting-the-application/&tab=comments#comment-277353

Change the path from Photo to Designer in the above link's instructions

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Thanks Carl123,

but the problem to me isn't that much the closing - I can handle that with the task-manager - but that the program doesn't create any file I as I ask it to do. As I wrote: I bought the program new two days ago now and since then it starts but does not react further more.
It's Affinity Designer 1.6.4, running on desktop with Windows 8, Prozessores (8) Intel Core i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 - if that may help.

• Staff

Can you just check this location in Windows Explorer:

C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Designer\1.0\temp\

If there are files in that temp folder, can you 1st back them up, just copy them to a new folder somewhere.  Once you've done that, delete the files/folders within the temp folder (not the actual temp folder) Once you've done that, just start up Designer and then try to close it.

• Staff
21 minutes ago, shockanne said:

I cannot find any temporary file in there from Affinity Designer.

So that folder is just empty?

If you can try this,

Close Designer and then download the program mentioned by PaulS in this link:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/50438-how-to-close-designer/&tab=comments#comment-255642

Run Process Monitor and then start Designer and try closing the program, once you get the message about waiting for a File to open, switch to Process Monitor and click File>Save and then if you can Private message me the Logfile thats saved or attach it to a reply here, i'll get it looked at and see if we can see whats happening.

I bought Designer 7-25-2018, and it will not install.

I ran installer as administrator, turned off my antivirus, and still will not install, after several tries/downloads.

Does Affinity support monitor this forum? I can't find any where else to get the developers to help,

large webpages to purchase, but no where to actually get their help.

I have had AP for a year and had no problem installing it, but this is a mystery.

Best regards, Robert.

W 10 Pro 64 Bit

i7 CPU @ 3.50 GHz

32 GB Memory

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660

Affinity Designer error .docx

35 minutes ago, robertgs said:

Does Affinity support monitor this forum?

Yes. Anyone with a Staff badge (like @stokerg above) can offer official product support. The developers (the people that actually write the code) occasionally post here, but their job is not customer support & as you might imagine they are busy with the code, so you are most likely to get support from other staff members.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 7/27/2018 at 11:26 AM, stokerg said:

So that folder is just empty?

If you can try this,

Close Designer and then download the program mentioned by PaulS in this link:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/50438-how-to-close-designer/&tab=comments#comment-255642

Run Process Monitor and then start Designer and try closing the program, once you get the message about waiting for a File to open, switch to Process Monitor and click File>Save and then if you can Private message me the Logfile thats saved or attach it to a reply here, i'll get it looked at and see if we can see whats happening.

Hi Stokerg,

even meanwhile I could get a file started in Affinity Designer and do some testing - today I downloaded ProcessMonitor Programm and did as you requested. I started PM and then Affinity Designer, wanted to open my testfile, but the message appeared and I saved the LogFile.

I appreciate that you're taking time to have a look at it and hopefully find the problem.

Thanx a lot and greetings from Berlin - have a nice start into the new week!

Shockanne ;)

Logfile.PML

On 7/27/2018 at 4:23 PM, robertgs said:

Does Affinity support monitor this forum? I can't find any where else to get the developers to help,

As @R C-R said, you're in the right place, but you'll probably get more / better support by posting this as a new topic rather than adding it to an existing one.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10