You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cutting a shape out of another shape

I'm a bit rusty with any design app, and I've never gotten completely up to speed with Designer. I'm trying to do something which I think is fairly simple, but I don't seem to be able to get it right.

Simply, I have two shapes, and I want one to cut out of the other. Right now I have a group of shapes and I put it on top of the shape I want it to cut from, and I say to mask below, and it makes the bottom shape into the shape of the group above. What I want is in fact the bottom shape minus the group above (so it is transparent where the group was).

How do I do this? Thank you.

To cut out a shape from a shape use Layer > Geometry > Subtract or from the Menu Bar:

170658466_ScreenShot2018-07-26at19_51_08.png.bfc57c2c3b92192816ea93279481a42c.png

Add you should end up with this

897673406_ScreenShot2018-07-26at19_51_55.png.e99d4c51880a3ef4628930db16a48fd1.png 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Was rewriting my post when I got called away, what Philip is trying to do is subtract a "group of shapes from an individual shape, which makes the process different. 

The simplest method is to ungroup the group of shapes and Layer > Geometry > Add them to make a single irregular shape, that can then be subtracted from the Individual Shape.

1984165615_ScreenShot2018-07-26at22_03_01.thumb.png.4df6c9945c2f6b3f60eebe62174bbe70.png

1351434179_ScreenShot2018-07-26at22_04_36.thumb.png.4ac80a4c63915fb098792e07b9d7e7ab.png

430903726_ScreenShot2018-07-26at22_06_01.thumb.png.be96800f68d1bdbda10c46371fef012f.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

what Philip is trying to do is subtract a "group of shapes from an individual shape"

Ah, thanks — I missed that detail. As you say, the simplest way to deal with that scenario is to ungroup the shapes and ‘add’ them before performing the ‘subtract’ operation.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

5 hours ago, JimmyJack said:

Just select everything and hit Subtract.

Yes you can select everything within the group and then the target shape and subtract.

Thank you all. I've been able to subtract one shape at a time, but I have a small problem. I have triangles that I want to subtract just the outline of, not the middle. The triangles have no fill, but subtract still removes the middle. Is there a way to get it to work without removing the middle? Thanks.

5 minutes ago, philipt18 said:

Thank you all. I've been able to subtract one shape at a time, but I have a small problem. I have triangles that I want to subtract just the outline of, not the middle. The triangles have no fill, but subtract still removes the middle. Is there a way to get it to work without removing the middle? Thanks.

I figured this out. I selected the triangles and selected 'Expand Stroke' and then I subtracted them.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I went through all the comments here and tried every combination and yet I still cannot figure out how to cut a simple circle shape out of a more complex image. Can someone please help? It just never gives me an option for for substract, it is always greyed out. I checked the "Fill mode" for both, circle and the earring shape. The circle is set to "Alternate", but the earring shape has no selection. Both options (alternate or winding) are greyed out. I am suspecting that this might be the reason why I cannot do substract. Is there any way of changing it or any other way of cutting out the circle?

9 hours ago, PixelPest said:

Is your "ear-ring" probably just a single stroke instead of a color filled shape like you will get after "expand stroke"?

A screenshot or example file might be helpful methinks.

no, it's not. It is fully filled shape. attached is the screen shot of it

image.png.88903756dca712361809d1f666825557.png

2 hours ago, MartynaCR said:

I just tried that and still nothing

You have to select the individual tear drop shape within the group, not the group itself and then boolean/geometry subtract the red dot from the teardrop.