You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity on ChromeOS

I understand that at this current point in time that there are no plan to introduce your programs on ChromeOS, or the PlayStore. I do though think that it may be a good idea to do so, even if the market is smaller than those who use Mac or Windows. The thing is though, at least in the US, that students are adopting ChromeBooks due to Google taking over the education market. This could lead to a future where they become the standard, where they become what new age designers and photo editors use to do what they do in the future. I love using your Programs both on the desktop and on the iPad, and I just would love to see it breach the bigger market of android and google users in the future, especially since they take up a large portion of the market, and will continue to do so. 

• 2 months later...

I agree with bennyboe. 

I'm an android developer and UI designer and love Designer, Photo and I'm trying out Publisher now. 
What I don't love so much any more is expensive not very well performing MacBooks, I would like to switch to a chromebook, especially now that Google is releasing the pixel slate. The high end version of the slate is $1599 which is way cheaper than an equalent macbook. All developer tools are already available.

But the one thing preventing me from switching is the lack of graphic software. Who ever comes first will probably get a lot of users as I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking like this. I just hope it will be Affinity. 

• 1 year later...

I WOULD LOVE TO GOOGLE TO just pay Serif to port Affinity to chrome os! I want to try google system, but I am an graphic designer and I can't have a computer that can't run good program. I've switched to affinity from adobe - challenging but worth it. Now I want to unlink myself from apple just to try alternative :) GOOGLE please invest in Serif!

50 minutes ago, tytus 01UNIT said:

GOOGLE please invest in Serif!

Hi @tytus 01UNIT,

(I'm writing the following as a serious respons but also with a twinkle in my eyes)

With all due respect. The last thing I want to see is Google investing in Serif. Do you remember Picasa?
If you want to use Affinity then please use an OS that it was made for. There are three to choose from, already  🙂

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

On 9/10/2020 at 8:08 PM, dominik said:

Hi @tytus 01UNIT,

(I'm writing the following as a serious respons but also with a twinkle in my eyes)

With all due respect. The last thing I want to see is Google investing in Serif. Do you remember Picasa?
If you want to use Affinity then please use an OS that it was made for. There are three to choose from, already  🙂

Cheers,
d.

I fully agree - these days Google are the Kings of Deprecation (even beating Apple) and they have neglected and then killed off so many good products over the years including Picasa.

Since Affinity is never going to come to Chrome OS, I suggest everyone try online alternatives like Pixlr and Photopea instead.

Most Chromebooks that people use in education are going to be low end devices that would not be a great experience working with any serious graphical projects. Serif is not Adobe or any other company of that size so they have to strategically pick where they want to be to achieve maximum growth. I believe they are doing it right sticking with Windows and Mac OS and iPad OS. There is already a massive thread, 2 even, for people wanting a Linux port. At the moment it seems Serif wants to focus on improving the software rather then trying to expand to every device. I think this is smart as the software needs a lot of improvement to take on Adobe. It is good software but not at Adobe's level yet. I would prefer they focus on features and updates that are coming in V2. 

On 9/14/2020 at 6:35 PM, Snapseed said:

I fully agree - these days Google are the Kings of Deprecation (even beating Apple) and they have neglected and then killed off so many good products over the years including Picasa.

I think Microsoft is the king of that. They'll come out with some random awesome thing that's missing a feature or two, but has a lot of promise. Problem is, they never let anything grow. If it's not immediately successful, they'll let it linger for a couple of years, giving it only token support before deciding to put it out of its misery behind the shed.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2020 at 8:10 PM, wonderings said:

I think this is smart as the software needs a lot of improvement to take on Adobe. It is good software but not at Adobe's level yet. I would prefer they focus on features and updates that are coming in V2. 

OH YES! AGREE. Affinity needs a lot of polishing. The one thing that took my hype away (even I still use it professionally) from affinity is a very slow development - not many upgrades and A LOT of forum’s threads about bugs or possible improvements that are not changing for years.

PS. This Chrome OS thing...Yeah it is my wishful thinking to try something else than apple. I like MAC OS but I wish there would be another competition in UX/UI friendly OS that can compete with MAC OS.

On 9/18/2020 at 11:34 PM, Renzatic said:

I think Microsoft is the king of that. They'll come out with some random awesome thing that's missing a feature or two, but has a lot of promise. Problem is, they never let anything grow. If it's not immediately successful, they'll let it linger for a couple of years, giving it only token support before deciding to put it out of its misery behind the shed.  

Microsoft is pretty bad with that, they have had a host of products just disappear and I agree it seems they never seem all that committed to build anything up. The Zune (aka Microsoft iPod) is a great example. Microsoft actually had some neat ideas with this product but horrible execution. They had subscription music before most I think, and on top of the monthly fee you could keep one album even if you canceled the subscription.. which was the price of about 1 album. Anyways I ramble. Android is a bit fragmented when it comes to phones and what updates they can have, not sure if that exists with Chromebooks and the Chrome OS which I am assuming is just Android made for a tablet.