You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity designer stylus pen for mac

Dear all,

I've just purchased Affinity designer for iPad and look forward to using it. However, I have never owned a stylus pen and wonder if the Affinity community may suggest a stylus pen that would work for real with an appropriate precision on iPad. In the Affinity website promotions there is a cool white stylus pen and wonder if I could have some recommendations from the developers.

Thanks for your help.

That cool white stylus pen is the Apple Pencil, easily the most precise device you can use with iPads that support it. That includes all iPad Pro models plus the newest 9.7" iPad model released in March of this year.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

53 minutes ago, R C-R said:

That cool white stylus pen is the Apple Pencil, easily the most precise device you can use with iPads that support it. That includes all iPad Pro models plus the newest 9.7" iPad model released in March of this year.

The iPencil rocks. It is expensive, but the response is spectacular. AD's new "sculpt" pencil mode works like liquid lightning. My younger daughter, who works very diligently w. a Surface Pro, Ps, and various pens had to admit it was way better than anything she had used.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Hi,

I’m using Wacom’s Bamboo Sketch on my iPad 9.7” 2017, as the Apple Pencil is not supported and it works great on most drawing apps I have but can’t find info on whether this stylus works with Affinity Designer? Putting off getting the app, as it’s a big expense if the stylus is not supported.

Sara :)

Well, right now is 15 bucks with the discount (euros, here) , a no-brainer, as even if pencil would be not supported (dunno), I don't believe there's anything this powerful for vectors in the entire iOS ecosystem... I mean, I'd have bought it with my iPad 1, when the velocyraptors were still on earth... as fingers are somehow accurate as a mouse (or more)... And for vector stuff,  I even often prefer ye good old mouse.

Un saludo,

Edit: Might some Bamboo Sketch user be so kind to reply here, that'd be amazing...

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

I Have the full Affinity programs on pc since beta and use a tablet for those, so getting this on my small iPad would be a luxury not a necessity and I like the use of pressure sensitivity that I have with my Bluetooth styles, from what I seen of previews it would be useful . 

$15 doesn’t translate well to what we have to pay in Uk: £13.99?

2 hours ago, summersara said:

I’m using Wacom’s Bamboo Sketch on my iPad 9.7” 2017, as the Apple Pencil is not supported and it works great on most drawing apps I have but can’t find info on whether this stylus works with Affinity Designer?

From the list of supported apps about half way down this Wacom page, it does not look like that stylus is supported by the Affinity iPad apps. :(

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 hours ago, summersara said:

I Have the full Affinity programs on pc since beta and use a tablet for those, so getting this on my small iPad would be a luxury not a necessity and I like the use of pressure sensitivity that I have with my Bluetooth styles, from what I seen of previews it would be useful . 

$15 doesn’t translate well to what we have to pay in Uk: £13.99?

sorry, with (euros, here), I meant those were 15 euros, in my country's store...

I see....Well, R C-R has replied better.

Edit: 14.99 euros in most converters give me 13.36 pounds... maybe count on some converters' commisions or whatever, I think it's totally fair...

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

There is a request, but curiously for iPad Pro, as a user does not like Pencil for it ( :o )

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/43830-wacom-bamboo-sketch-ipad-pro-support/

And a more recent one :

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/43512-third-party-bluetooth-stylus-support-please/

(I don't think the demanding tone is the good fit there, but that's me ) 
So, it seems to me that if bamboo sketch is not supported in Affinity apps in the iPad Pro, it is likely to happen so in your iPad, as well... So, is your decision, now.  :)

2 hours ago, R C-R said:

From the list of supported apps about half way down this Wacom page, it does not look like that stylus is supported by the Affinity iPad apps. :(

Thanks RC-R, im not sure how up to date that list is? It Hasn't change since i bought the stylus 7 months ago but if there isn't any option to sync in Affinity Designer then it's not usable.

Thanks for the links SrPx, not a regular on here so wouldn't have found those posts, hopefully someone from Serif can reply and say one way or another, or if syncing with other styluses will be in future builds?

Sara :)