You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vector Brush/Pencil ending with stroke

Hi, when drawing with the vector brush or pencil tool, I sometimes get wired endings (when drawing long lines crossing itself several times and “pressure-controller”). The ending changes when choosing a different ending, but never disappears - only if i move certain points. Is it a bug or is it just me being stupid?

EDIT: Added the .afdesign file.

94BAF0CA-F4EA-446D-B343-2DFB92305D30.png

4E8BDC6D-AE29-416C-9B82-A0D6A56C497F.png

159F7B40-1919-4D61-8E91-B6D2F8D584A9.png

copy.afdesign

Edited by FelixB
Added .afdesign file

What you show is something that might happen if you were making a dotted stroke. For instance, a dotted line using a butt end stroke would show nothing as a dotted stroke. But I've not seen that w. a solid stroke. Care to upload a file so others can view, and maybe sort thru.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

18 hours ago, FelixB said:

The ending changes when choosing a different ending, but never disappears ...

Hi @FelixB & welcome to the forums.

When I set the Cap to "Butt" (the second icon in the advanced section of the Stroke Studio) to any of the curves in your file, the rounded or square end caps disappear & the ends taper to sharp points, like one would expect from the pressure curves, as in copy fixed.afdesign (saved with history). I am not sure why the end caps don't always smoothly taper to points like would be expected from the pressure curve, but changing the caps to "Butt" has always worked for me (so far).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks @R C-R :)

That was my first thought too. But when you zoom in, there is still a line as you can see in the screenshot. Is that one normal too?

EDIT: It seems there has to be a cap with the general stroke width, no matter of the stroke width at the start/end point.

EDIT2: When you look at the video, you can see, that the cap (no matter which one you choose) will disappear, when changing the curve. So it is happening only with certain curves - short ones do not have the problem.

(Sorry for editing so often)

3F473598-EF67-469E-A1DB-12745B836C62.jpeg

I see what you mean & I think it must be a bug. It only seems to affect the end node (the red one) because if you reverse the stroke the 'phantom' end cap changes ends.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 7/28/2018 at 4:18 AM, FelixB said:

Can someone move the post, or should I post it again in the bug forum?

I see that you did that yourself.  thumbup1.gif

Affinity Photo 

• Staff

Hi FelixB,

I think there's a calculation messing this up. It should be ending on a 0 but seems like it jumps to a 1 when pressure is applied, causing the cup. I've shown development this morning so hopefully we'll see an improvement here. 

• Staff
12 hours ago, FelixB said:

Hi @Chris B

Thanks for the information :)

The Butt Cap is not working correctly too. As discussed with @R C-R it will give you just a small thin line, but still visible, especially when zooming in (see latest screenshot).

Ah yes, I see what you mean. This just needs a proper fix then. I'll update development. 

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...