You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text selection bug

Hi,

when I work with text boxes, and when I try to select all the text, selection almost always leaves one letter out of the selection, even though I move pen pointer out as much as I can, to the point that I often resize box instead of selecting text. In the video, I tried from left side first, then in the middle of the video I tried to triple tap words to select all the text as in every other app, but it selects one word after second tap and then deselects it after third instead of selecting everything. And in the end of the video, I’m trying to select from right side, and it’s annoying.

Am I  doing something wrong? Is there a select all option that I’m not seeing? Can you implement triple tap to select all of the text, it would be really welcome improvement.

For the mean time, you can always place your caret cursor anywhere in the text, and use Select All from the Edit Menu (“three dots”, “ellipsis” menu on the top of the screen, third icon from the left). This will select the entire text in your frame. :)

• Staff

Hi Aleksandar,

It does seem a bit tricky to get that 1st letter selected, i'll get an improvement logged to see if we can make this a bit easier to drag and select.   

A really quick way to select all the text, just double tap with the with the Pencil on the text and all the text will be selected.

• Staff
17 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

No. Just a single word (space-delimited) will be selected then. Do you see something different?

My mistake, i only had one long string of text in a text box.  You are correct, it would just select the 1st word or word tapped on :( 

One thing @Aleksandar could try is tapping just outside of the text box, before the 1st character and then dragging to select, that seems to work most of the time.  A couple of times it skipped the 1st letter but i had better results tapping outside of the box. 

When I select text in my browser on iPad, I get a paddle at each end of the selection so that I can extend or shrink it. The Affinity apps need something similar.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

57 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

For the mean time, you can always place your caret cursor anywhere in the text, and use Select All from the Edit Menu (“three dots”, “ellipsis” menu on the top of the screen, third icon from the left). This will select the entire text in your frame. :)

Yes, that what I was looking for, at least until they improve quick selection. Thanks

32 minutes ago, stokerg said:

My mistake, i only had one long string of text in a text box.  You are correct, it would just select the 1st word or word tapped on :( 

One thing @Aleksandar could try is tapping just outside of the text box, before the 1st character and then dragging to select, that seems to work most of the time.  A couple of times it skipped the 1st letter but i had better results tapping outside of the box. 

Always starts to resize text box when I start outside... 

Triple tap on word would be ideal solution as it stayed in my muscle memory from other apps (though, they were mouse clicks, but it’s the same ;D )

Thanks for help!

• Staff
57 minutes ago, Aleksandar said:

Always starts to resize text box when I start outside... 

That happened a couple of time for me as well, but most of the time i was able to drag and select the words.

1 hour ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

When I select text in my browser on iPad, I get a paddle at each end of the selection so that I can extend or shrink it. The Affinity apps need something similar.

I'll be updating the improvement/bug report in the morning and hopefully we can get something added to make text selection easier :) 

5 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

They do have that, but only in the rename document feature. It is also the only place in the UI that properly supports the cool iOS 11 feature that turns the onscreen keyboard into a touch pad to move the text cursor with a two finger drag. If we had that in the document workspace, it would be great.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 11 months later...

Also I have noticed that the spacebar cursor function is not working on Affinity apps, whenever you hold the spacebar you would should able to move cursor within a textbox but when you press it - cursor goes on the beaginning of the text and won't move any further. Please fix this, this should solve all problems with text selection. Also, selection tool itself should be able to select grouped object when you select part of this group. Now you need to select whole group to be able to select it.

• 1 year later...
On 7/23/2019 at 11:32 PM, Majk Ti said:

Also I have noticed that the spacebar cursor function is not working on Affinity apps, whenever you hold the spacebar you would should able to move cursor within a textbox but when you press it - cursor goes on the beaginning of the text and won't move any further. Please fix this, this should solve all problems with text selection. Also, selection tool itself should be able to select grouped object when you select part of this group. Now you need to select whole group to be able to select it.

Seconding this. Selecting text feels very foreign on the iPad. Trying to move the cursor using either the pick up and drop gesture or the space bar trackpad doesn’t seem to work the same. I was able to get the space bar trackpad to work this morning but it randomly seemed to select some of the text when I didn’t intend to. Selection doesn’t make sense. 

I’m finding text boxes feel very quirky in general. In addition to the selection issues, the screen seems to easily jump around to unintended positions especially if you’re working with large text. Additionally the software keyboard seems to persistently pop up even when I try to close it when inside a text box. I realize this is a few issues combined into one post haha sorry. I would love to see some improvements to this. 

Edited by dantaylr