You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

When I abandoned Adobe CC suite it took me a while to find a Lightroom alternative. After trying many I adopted Darktable. Not the best and easiest interface, but it's the one that gave me the best results with all the camera I have. And it's free.

I love Affinity Photo, but for RAW files.... too slow, no sidecar files, and no batch operations. For one or two RAW files it's very fine. But when I get back from a shoot with over 500 photos...

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

I also use darktable. It's amazing how powerful it is, and it's 100% free! The UI is a little overwhelming at first, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make if the program gives all the tools I could ever need. 

Free Affinity Photo Course! :5_smiley:
Follow along with me as we learn how to edit everyday photos.

+1 for darktable 

I use it with digikam which is great for cataloging. I'm also adding rawtherapee, not very user friendly but extremely powerful. 

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

4 hours ago, verysame said:

+1 for darktable 

I use it with digikam which is great for cataloging. I'm also adding rawtherapee, not very user friendly but extremely powerful. 

I've never used Digikam before, and am curious. What functionality does it offer you that darktable doesn't? 

Free Affinity Photo Course! :5_smiley:
Follow along with me as we learn how to edit everyday photos.

7 hours ago, Affinity Revolution said:

I've never used Digikam before, and am curious. What functionality does it offer you that darktable doesn't? 

Since I use Darktable specifically for raw development, I guess I don't have a thorough understanding of its DAM capabilities, but there are things that don't seem to work for me like when in Lighttable, the UI has no scrollbar, thus if you are browsing lots of images it gets annoying (I just import the folder I need to work on and I'm good to go); no direct import from the memory card;  not a big fan of the metadata panel. But I do like the group function.

Digikam: import directly from memory card with the option to create folders on the fly based on the file date creation. The import window can be organized by groups, based on the date. Tagging is quite clear and easy to manage. The Search dialog offers a good amount of options. There are also Geolocation, Duplicate images, and other features (batch operations, exporting/uploading to different services, and so on) but honestly, I never used them.

Lastly, being Digikam dedicated to image library management, the overall experience in terms of DAM if smoother and faster than DT, at least here on my PC.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti

Hi guys,

Hi guys,

After doing some research and poking around at several of the applications, I have decided to go with On1  Photo Raw  2018.5. 

On1  is a slick, beautifully designed an extremely powerful photo/raw editor. It is very similar to Capture one. (At a fraction of the cost.) They are currently running a promotion as well and selling it for $50!

On1 pretty much blows Darktable and Digikam out of the water. (Both of which suffer from that sad, loving-hands-at-home quality that open source apps tend to have...)

So far, I’d say I’m preferring On1 to Lightroom. And that is saying a lot!

10 minutes ago, thomasbricker said:

They are currently running a promotion as well and selling it for $50!

Who is "they"?  The On1 web site has it at $69.99 (including "bonuses").

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

5 minutes ago, IanSG said:

Who is "they"?  The On1 web site has it at $69.99 (including "bonuses").

https://www.on1.com/promo/0718-photo2018/?v=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuYbzv9PG3AIVq5ztCh3lnQ_eEAAYASADEgK5xPD_BwE

Offer ends tomorrow

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 minute ago, carl123 said:

Thank you!  I'm getting some very strange behaviour from the On1 website - the link above works, but when I go back to On1.com the lowest price I see is now $99.99!

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

12 hours ago, thomasbricker said:

Hi guys,

[...]

On1 pretty much blows Darktable and Digikam out of the water.

I'm curious, in which way? 

I have only used the old free PS plugin a while back, which was OK. Then I tried the 2018 version and I wasn't impressed, it almost felt like a regression. 

Andrew
-

Hello guys, maybe what i will add here is a bit far from what you are looking for but it seems like there is a possibility to add Topaz Plugins to Affinity Photo.
This Tuto may help
This second one too !

In fact (to me) there no such way or trying to make Serif build something like Lightroom simply because Serif is not Adobe and Serif is not even trying to mimic Adobe but they intend to create something that fits and works ... so ... something like Lightroom we may not see but, when you can't get Devs to build this or that, you can take advantage of turning what you have into a Powerful Factory.

Affinity Photo already have a Good set of persona that may be improved or redesigned to fit with what you need, really but for the time until it comes yo can help yourself make awesome things.
Believe Ezra Henderson from Affinity Revolution have good autos that help and maybe one of these days he may teach us how to make APhoto be as great as we see it.
Hope it will help someone here and make him smile.

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

Luminar looks like a good one to me.  Too bad I don't actually take photos of my own very often.  I don't know if it does the image management, though.

Edit:  No, Luminar doesn't do Digital Asset Management yet, but it's on their roadmap.

3 hours ago, verysame said:

I'm curious, in which way? 

I have only used the old free PS plugin a while back, which was OK. Then I tried the 2018 version and I wasn't impressed, it almost felt like a regression. 

The UI is superior to the other options. 

The functionality is smooth and professional. 

It simply works well. 

1 hour ago, thomasbricker said:

The UI is superior to the other options. 

The functionality is smooth and professional. 

It simply works well. 

Hm... the UI is one of the things that didn't impress me. As for the speed (that's how I interpret "smooth", but correct me if I'm wrong), I have no problems with DT. Same for the professional, DT offers really advanced features (masking is truly powerful). RT is even more advanced but the UI is a mess. Digikam is fast as well. Anyway, ON1 could never land on my PC, is a no-no when it comes to Fuji cameras which is what I use.

That said, I know many enjoy it and that's what matters, having fun with the software we pick. That offer is good indeed.

Andrew
-