You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Query/bug?-Filters and noise use on colour ramps [AD live + AD Beta - 1.6.5.119]

I have not really been exploring these features until recently..but I noticed there is a discrepancy between the application of noise to colour swatches in different filter features.. It is present in both live and beta...

A: Layer effects /colour overlay/select colour swatch/change colour/add noise=applied to selected layer/object

B:Layer Effects/Gradient map + colour swatch on selected nodes+noise=add noise visibly to ramp but not object

C:Layer Effects lens filter+ no luminosity select swatch add noise no effect at all

Is this as it should be (by design) or just a small bug?

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2371
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

• Staff

Hi Stuart,
Are you able to do a video showing this please? I'm slightly confused by your descriptions. With regards to B and C I think you're actually referring to Adjustment Layers (Layer > New Adjustment Layer) and not Layer FX (Layer > Layer Effects) like description A.

I've tried applying Noise to a Gradient Map adjustment and I couldn't see it on the ramp!

Thanks

Ok! Sorry my weird shorthand is not very clear:)

Yes you are correct..Adjustment layers not layer effects

I was initially just playing around with the settings on the layer effects panel + Fx on Layers Panel for comparison but came across a noise slider that would reset every time I dragged it (I have had this occur with the Wacom  but not the mouse).. So I just compared some of the other effects and how they were functioning So I have expanded the shorthand:

Control test
For Layer Effects colour Overlay (Works)
1. New file include Artboard
2. Draw Object[rectangle] colour it[any colour]

3. Layer Effects [fx layers 04 Layer Effects....(Layer Panel)]
4. Select Colour Overlay 
5. Select Colour (change it otherwise default black)
6. Select Colour Swatch[introduce popup menu]
7. Adjust Noise Ramp

Adjustment layers (Gradient Map)

3. Layer/New Adjustment [Gradient Map]
4. Select Colour Stop/s 
5 Select Colour Swatch for each Stop/s
6. Adjust Noise Slider
7. Noise Appears on Ramp but not the object the effect is applied to

Adjustment layers (Lens Filter)

3. Layer/New Adjustment [Lens Filter]
4. Change Colour [Adjust Optical Density/toggle Preserve luminosity(for effect)]
5. Select Filter Colour
6. Adjust Noise Ramp on Colour popup

Here the noise does not get applied but also the slider is 'elastic' so will reset to ) once you move it

Which was sort of my Query initially..is it just turned off for this effect as it's not necessary or just not working as it was envisaged?

Hope this helps!

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2371
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

• Staff

Ahh! I'm with you now - the Gradient one you have to move the stop after applying noise, for it to appear on the ramp! I cannot be sure, but I don't think its intended to use Noise with these, but its just a side effect of using the same pop up that contains the noise slider. I'll pass it on to development to see what they say. :) 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.