You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to create this effect (frame with smooth transition) with Affinity?

Hi,

as I boardgame reviewer I need to take pictures of the games and there is one effect (I would call it "smooth frame"), I can't recreate in Affinity. Here is an example. As you can see, I need to put a frame in a special color around the picture and the picture itsself has a smooth transition.

Thank you so much.

-Nick

I think the best way is to create it with an outer frame for the colour border, and an inner frame to mask the image. If you apply a Gaussian blur effect to the inner frame (now the mask), that blurs the picture edges.

Put the picture on the page, then mask the rectangle to the image, by dragging it to the masking position, or putting the rectangle layer above the image, right click and choose Mask to Below. Apply a Gaussian blur to the Mask, not the image.

bordered.png.85a548443c23a1e242727315d9ad2eb2.png

I don't know what app you are using? but I have included a Designer file for you to see, but it is identical in Photo. The Designer file will load into Photo!.

The good thing is, if you create this type of border you only ever need to do it once as you can easily replace the image inside, without having to create the frame every time. Just select it and click on Replace Image.

replace.png.229b6ad6f67faa86e0dd6c547edee365.png

and it replaces the image inside the border.

fadeborder.afdesign

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Hi toltec,

I use Affinity Photo, which opened your file with a big white space. It looks the way I want it but I can't exchange the picture with some of mine. Is there any way to create a macro so that I can use a batch process over more than one pictures?

Thanks
-Nick

3 hours ago, Kopernikus said:

Hi toltec,

I use Affinity Photo, which opened your file with a big white space. It looks the way I want it but I can't exchange the picture with some of mine. Is there any way to create a macro so that I can use a batch process over more than one pictures?

Thanks
-Nick

I don't there there is any way for a macro to work on that, sorry :(

I don't know why you can't load some images, I can load almost anything. I attached a Photo file.

bordering.afphoto

You must apply the Gaussian blur effect to the mask, not the image. 

Once you have masked the image with the rectangle, expand the image layer (the mask layer will be nested inside) and make sure only the mask layer is selected when you apply the blur effect. Click on the mask thumbnail to select it.

See my first post.

8 minutes ago, Kopernikus said:

When I create the smaller white rectangle and move it "under" my picture, the picture also has the white rectangle. Attached is my example. I'm quite close. :)

my_example.afphoto

You haven’t masked the white rectangle to the image layer.

Put it above the image layer, right click on it and choose, Mask to Below.