You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

unable to create style from object

AFAIK, styles are associated w.vector objects only. Create a vector object, and use the fill tool set to "bitmap." Place the metallic raster image  in the vector, and then create a style. The placed image can be made  to tile, or fill the vector. Depends on what you want.

Maybe create a "metallic" gradient instead of using a bitmap if you want to use the finish over a larger range of object.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

On 7/25/2018 at 11:06 PM, undercovergypsy said:

Hi I am unable to create a style from an object. I can create a style from a vector but how do I create from raster? I have a metallic square and want to make it available as a fill - Thanks

You can't make a style but you can create a swatch. Do as @gdenby suggests, Use the fill tool to fill with the bitmap, then right click and choose Add to Swatches > From Fill.

It will then appear in the Swatches panel.

Here I turned three fills into a Fills palette.

fills.png.0e2083ed216994599807a2515717b011.png

Edit. You can make a style, as @gdenbysays. For some reason I couldn’t first time I tried.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Thank you. I understand the vector part now. But I did try swatches and it will not allow that either. When I click on swatches pallette and the little menu button that is the gold.png - I don't see anything that says to add to swatches there...

When I right mouse and choose swatches I get the menu that says from fill and I click it and nothing happens. - gold2.png 

Thanks again both of you.

gold.thumb.png.a967ef54110a90fccbd5a47dfb2658bf.png

gold2.thumb.png.e7f62b04b6ac5bf04191e592b343cd34.png

I will differ from toltec, assuming I am not misunderstanding his reply. You can create a bitmap filled style. The bitmaps remain editable when applied to other works.

BitMapStyles.jpg.7d900914197c3f9aa72505ccdba7476d.jpg

GeckoBitmap.thumb.jpg.6ab30b7bac9835517a537cd186d64ba9.jpg

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

Huion WH1409 tablet

3 hours ago, gdenby said:

I will differ from toltec, assuming I am not misunderstanding his reply. You can create a bitmap filled style. The bitmaps remain editable when applied to other works.

Oh yes, you are quite correct.

I tried that before and for some reason I only got empty, unfulfilled styles. I must have been having a bad style day :(

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Do not know what is happening. For adding a style, it should be 1-2-3. Make vector shape, rectangle, ellipse, etc. With vector shape selected, use fill tool, and choose bitmap, and choose from whatever bitmap is wherever in the directory structure. Switch to the move tool, right click the mouse, and choose "Create Style." a new one will show up in whatever style category is active, or default if the style panel isn't open.

Huion WH1409 tablet

Umm, not right now. I haven't used swatches enough to say. I mostly use the vector persona, and don't often use the pixel persona. Little use for bitmap fills 'cept in vector shapes. But your question prompts me to investigate. Still, I'm perplexed that you can't add a style.

Huion WH1409 tablet