You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

'Percents' option for the Corner Tool

Hi!

I'm sorry if this was posted before. I couldn't find this topic on the forums.

I'd like to have "Radius by percents" for the Corner Tool. I'm currently having this problem where I can't use the Corner Tool with symbols of different size, because when I change the radius of a bigger symbol, its smaller copies get same amount of pixels in corner change, which makes it a dramatic change for a smaller object.

P.S.
Is there a workaround in the meantime?

I believe once you Bake your corner(s) the corners are baked in at a percentage value rather than the shown pixel value

So if you change the radius of a bigger symbol's corner, initially the smaller symbol's corners will look wrong but once you bake the corner on the bigger symbol the smaller symbol's corner will update and will look proportionately correct

Unfortunately Baking is a one time operation, you cannot go back in later to adjust the corner radius easily, so make sure the bigger symbol's corner radius is perfect before you bake it.

Hopefully the Dev Team will add a percentage setting for the Corner Tool in a later update

PS If you are just dealing with corners on rectangular shapes in your symbols, don't use the corner tool just use the shape's own  corner controls which allow both percentage and pixel values to be used.

Hope that helps

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

2 hours ago, carl123 said:

So if you change the radius of a bigger symbol's corner, initially the smaller symbol's corners will look wrong but once you bake the corner on the bigger symbol the smaller symbol's corner will update and will look proportionately correct

PS If you are just dealing with corners on rectangular shapes in your symbols, don't use the corner tool just use the shape's own  corner controls which allow both percentage and pixel values to be used.

Hope that helps

Hey @carl123

Just gave it a try and it worked. It's a good solution for my current needs, but I hope that the radius will change by percents in the future.

I used Corner Tool on custom shapes. I saw that Rounded Rectangle has that "change by percent" feature and that's why I thought that it should be added to the Corner Tool as well.

Anyway, thanks for pointing out that baking solves this problem in one way or another.

• 1 year later...

ideally you should be able to set either % or values for a corner radius, then have a checkbox in the context toolbar for either scaling corners with the shape or keeping the radius fixed. e.g. If it's set to "scale with object" and you have a radius of 4mm on a corner and scale the object 50% then the corner radius will become 2mm. Also, if selecting a node with the node edit tool, the radius of that node should be reported and editable in the context toolbar - it's a pain having to switch to the "corner tool" just to see the values or edit them. I'm presuming Adobe has some sort of copyright on their Illustrator method of setting corner curvatures otherwise you'd just copy that, as it's a much better and more intuitive system. Having parametric corner radius settings is super-helpful, so I'm glad it's there, but you need to be able to optionally scale the corners with the object. 

Windows 7 & 10 64-bit, Dual Xeon workstation(s) 64gb RAM, and single i7 laptop 32gb RAM