Hanz

Painting (pixels) inside a vector shape

Hey Guys!

I've been using your AG app and is really amazing app... Specially when you paint over vector shapes...

The issue comes when I have a vector artwork finished and want to add some texture with a brush, so I go to the pixel persona... With the arrow tool on the left I can select the shapes I want to add that texture, but I noticed that sometimes it draws inside the shape (clipping mask) and sometimes outside the shape... I thought I was making something wrong, but couldn't find a specific way to replicate either drawing inside or drawing outside... So it seems random to me, that's why I think it's a bug...

Personally I would like to be able to draw directly inside the shapes (clipping mask) but other people wouldn't, so maybe it could be customisable somehow :)

Hi Hanz

There are insertion options which let you choose if you insert he layer above below or inside the currently selected layer. It may also depend on the layer type as there are some default assistant rules that apply. You are able to easily move the layers about, clip to other layers etc on the layer panel too

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Hey Chris, thanks!

Yes, I have tried that, but it brakes the flow, so it randomly paints inside and outside... I could use the insert option before painting every shape but that process will take me longer...

How can I know the layer type that applies?

Cheers!

Hi Hanz,
If you have a (closed) curve layer selected Affinity should create a pixel layer inside it for you if you start painting with the Brush Tool in Pixel Persona. It should only create a new non-clipped pixel layer if there's no curve layer selected. Are you sure that when you start painting you do have a curve (shape) layer selected?

Hey! Thanks for replying!

Yes, I select the layer (with the arrow tool in pixel persona, which is the 1st tool on my left), then I pick the brush tool (just underneath the arrow) and star painting over the shape... sometimes it draws inside and others doesn’t, and it doesn’t matter how much times I try the same process, it just doesn’t paint inside in certain shapes... Do you need a video?

I made the shapes in adobe illustrator (latest version), then save it on files (iCloud), exported to AD and started to select shape by shape and drawing, finally I noticed that in some cases I was able to draw inside (which was amazing).

l have a 12" iPad Pro 2017, iOS 11.4

Cheers! :)

Hi Hanz,
It's not working on those paths because they are not properly closed. If you change to the Node Tool and drag/move the end node (the one in red) on one of these paths you will see the path is not properly closed. If you drag it again over the start node Affinity will close the path properly and you should be able to paint inside them when they are selected.

I have no idea how to video , but it seems to be working now . But when you do a stroke and remove your finger/Pencil , you can watch the stroke crawl from start to finish long after you have done the stroke ?

Latest version A D on iPad Pro 1st gen . .

On 7/30/2018 at 4:07 PM, MEB said:

Hi Hanz,
It's not working on those paths because they are not properly closed. If you change to the Node Tool and drag/move the end node (the one in red) on one of these paths you will see the path is not properly closed. If you drag it again over the start node Affinity will close the path properly and you should be able to paint inside them when they are selected.

By the way, keep in mind this: "I made the shapes in adobe illustrator (latest version), then save it on files (iCloud), exported to AD and started to select shape by shape and drawing, finally I noticed that in some cases I was able to draw inside (which was amazing).

l have a 12" iPad Pro 2017, iOS 11.4"

Thanks a mill!