You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Which software do you use when you're managing .afdesign, SVG and other vector graphics files? Unfortunately ACDSee doesn't show thumbnails/previews for these file types, so I need to look elsewhere.

I'm on Windows 10 pro 64 and all I can find is abeMeda.

What works for you guys?:35_thinking:

If @MEB or any other Affinity mods want to share their tricks of the trade then please jump in.

R

Affinity Designer & Photo  :  Win 10

Hi haakoo

It's vector files I'm wanting to manage.

Does XnViewMP actually support .afdesign and SVG files?

After an hour and a half's searching on the web yesterday and today it would seem not, but if you can tell me it does (and show me how to achieve it) that'd be great!

Thanks,

R

I simply use Windows Explorer, it displays Designer files without problem.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

6 minutes ago, MEB said:

To enable thumbnails/previews in XnViewMP go to XnView ▸ Preferences ▸ General and tick Show all graphic formats. Restart the app. It should now show previews/thumbnails for both Affinity Photo and Designer files.

That looks like settings for XnView, not XnViewMP.

In XnViewMP it's Tools -> Settings and there are settings in General and in Browser that may be relevant.

But with them set, yes, XnViewMP will display the thumbnails for .afphoto and .afdesign files (at least if the user has chosen to save thumbnails with the files in the Affinity Preferences).

However, XnViewMP does not seem to show thumbnails for .svg files. They are hidden by default in the XnViewMP Settings, but even if unhidden no meaningful thumbnails are shown.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi walt.farrell
No, those are the settings/configurations for XnViewMP (on Mac). To enable SVG thumbnails remove svg and svgz formats from the exclusion list in Preferences, Browser, File list (on left) then Custom filter tab (on right) again on a Mac.

On Windows to display SVG thumbnails go to Tools ▸ Settings... ▸ Browser ▸ Files list ▸ Custom filter and remove svg and svgz from the list.

Thanks. Interesting that the settings are so different between Mac and Windows. However, while removing svg and svgz from the list causes the files to show up in XnViewMP's display, meaningful thumbnails are not shown, at least on my laptop, which does not have any additional codecs or thumbnail viewers installed.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

I'm on a mac and while not a DAM I have been happy just using Pathfinder file manager.  https://cocoatech.com/#/

It has a list mode that shows me file names sorted by name, create date, last updated, extension type, etc.  It also has what it calls an Icon view which shows me an image view of each (again sorted by many criteria) up to about 3" square.  I find it shows 98% of the affinity vector drawings and pixel photos (never figured out why a few it doesn't show).  It shows SVG, PDF and pretty much other formats.  Right clicking on a drawing will let me choose what application to use to open it up.  Of course a double left click opens it in it's native application.

It won't do descriptions or notes.  But until something better comes along I'm pleased.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

Thanks to you guys it's all up and running and looking fine. Now it's time to manage those assets.:26_nerd::17_heart_eyes:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

while removing svg and svgz from the list causes the files to show up in XnViewMP's display, meaningful thumbnails are not shown, at least on my laptop, which does not have any additional codecs or thumbnail viewers installed. 

Walt: Is this what you're seeing? The svg thumbnails are distorted into a square format and blurry but they still give a fair idea of what's inside. Whereas the svg previews really are ridiculous tiny splodges!

397577277_XnViewMP-small.thumb.jpg.83d4841500ec476479fa6231a93def62.jpg

16 minutes ago, Roger C said:

Walt: Is this what you're seeing

No. Mine seem to be just a few squares, randomly arranged. 

-- Walt
PC:

Hmm. All I did was follow the instructions from you and MEB. I don't think there are any additional codecs or thumbnail viewers on my machine either.

I'll have a go at un-ticking the boxes tomorrow and see if I can replicate those random squares. If so I'll post back.