You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Embedding of placed Images

• Staff

Hi Carsten Kraushaar,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

That's how it already works now. If you use the Place Image command from the Document menu on the top right of the interface or drop an image file from Files app it will be added as as Image layer type (look at the small letters/label above the layer's name in the Layers Studio). Image layers are a special layer type that retains all the original image data - you can think of them as embedded images -. They can be transformed globally (rotated, skewed etc) without losing quality but they cannot be edited/manipulated at a pixel level. For that they must be rasterised first clicking on the second icon on top of the Layers Studio and selecting Rasterise.

If you select a PSD, SVG, our own native file formats or other complex document it will be added as an embedded document layer (again check the label/small letters above the layers's name in the Layers Studio.

Currently Affinity apps don't support linked layers. This should be introduced with Affinity Publisher and then ported back to the other apps of the suite.

You're right.

It works perfectly for pixel-based images (png, jpg, etc.).

But if i place a vector-based files (ai, svg, pdf) it's placed as "Embedded document" and i have to double-tap to edit the contents. Right now i'm double tapping the embedded layer, select everything, copy it to clipboard and paste it in the parent document. I was thinking of an simpler way to get the contents inside the parent document by choosing "embed document" from the "edit" menu e.g.

• Staff

I see what you mean. Yes, complex documents (PSD, SVG etc) are added as embedded document layers as i mentioned but currently there's no way to "convert" them into editable objects.
You have to open them in their own document tab (on desktop) or as a new document (on iPad) to edit/access them as you discovered.

• 10 months later...
On 7/24/2018 at 9:11 AM, MEB said:

I see what you mean. Yes, complex documents (PSD, SVG etc) are added as embedded document layers as i mentioned but currently there's no way to "convert" them into editable objects.
You have to open them in their own document tab (on desktop) or as a new document (on iPad) to edit/access them as you discovered.

This would be very useful to me as well. The ability to pick any layer and right click and then select "convert to embedded document" would be fantastic.  If I place an individual image I am only given the option to "replace image."  If I do want to make an embedded document out of the image then I have to create a new Photo, Designer or Photoshop document and save in their native formats. This is a tedious extra step and wonder why it's necessary. Then I can place these file and it will show up an as embedded object. The usefulness of this is to be able to apply effects such as shearing, or any type of size transformation but when I "edit document" I see the document without these transformations.  This is great for mockups. 

• 1 year later...

Has this issue been resolved, I'm experiencing something similar, with embedding an image, following all the steps with the image place function, the image shows in the layers panel as (image) extension and not (embedded) extension. Can someone please clarify as to why it isn't showing as embedded?

This is for windows, BTW.. as I didn't want to start a new thread for the same past issue.

Edited by thathairlesswookie

1 hour ago, thathairlesswookie said:

Has this issue been resolved, I'm experiencing something similar, with embedding an image, following all the steps with the image place function, the image shows in the layers panel as (image) extension and not (embedded) extension. Can someone please clarify as to why it isn't showing as embedded?

Because it's an image file, not a document. JPG, PNG, TIFF are images, and are handled differently from documents (PDF, SVG, .afphoto, .afdesign, etc.).

That's just the way the program works.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You're welcome.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 6 months later...

Id like to follow up on this thread. I’m a brand new user (new to everything graphic design) and I recently switched to Affinity from AI because I can’t use glyphs in AI on iPAd. I’m loving Affinity but right now I’m stuck. I am trying to create using text + image - I type out the text as one layer and then “place image” to insert an SVG file. In the end I convert to SVG for export and the image does not show up. I can convert the text to curves (either before or during export - figured that function out) but the image shows as “image”  . and I can’t figure out how to get it to be an embedded document so it will export. The image placed is SVG format